Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Auto door locks when leaving car

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jmactenn

jmactenn

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLeague City, TX
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKZ

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

I just started looking for a function to automatically lock the doors when you leave transmitter range. Surprisingly there appears that there is none. Has anyone found one?

John

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 Tucker

Tucker

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 03 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

what year do you have?

#3 jmactenn

jmactenn

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKZ

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:16 PM

#4 SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 397 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Ecoboost

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:41 PM

Nope.  Not an option.  <insert snide comment here>  :)

#5 R2D2

R2D2

New MKZ Member

• 181 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationPalm Coast, FL
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKZh

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

I believe it exists in the 2013, surprised it's not on the 2014. Do you have the "my key" function activated?

Edited by R2D2, 05 October 2014 - 02:04 PM.

R2D2

Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee

I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

#6 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 348 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMount Vernon, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2014, 3.7L V6, AWD. Ruby Red/ Dune

Posted 05 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

It would be nice for this to happen but I couldn't find anyway to do this.

It's not the MyKey function. MyKey allows you to program keys with restricted driving modes.

#7 R2D2

R2D2

New MKZ Member

• 181 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, FL

Posted 06 October 2014 - 03:52 AM

I was thinking if you had a programmed my key it might inhibit the auto lock function.

In the 2013, as I leave the vehicle with the engine off, I can hear the locks activate and see the locks glow red

R2D2

Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee

I'm a black and white type of guy, the only gray in my life is the hair on my head!

#8 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 348 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I was thinking if you had a programmed my key it might inhibit the auto lock function.

In the 2013, as I leave the vehicle with the engine off, I can hear the locks activate and see the locks glow red

It seems odd they would remove a function in the newer model. Maybe there was an issue with it.

In any case I gave it a try myself. I drove the car, then parked it and pressed the P and stopped the engine. I then got out closed the door and walked away with the remote. I left the remote about half a city block away and walked back to the car. It had not locked. I was able to open the door but I could not lock it.

Went back and got the remote. The car still was not locked. Was able to lock it normally.

Edited by JoeBrown, 06 October 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#9 R2D2

R2D2

New MKZ Member

• 181 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, FL

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:10 AM

I know of another feature/option that is not on the 2014 as I had one as a loaner.

On the 2013, the directional switch is not of the locking type but has two positions in each direction, the first is a short duration blink (2 blinks) for a quick change lane and the 2nd keeps the directional on until you either come out of a turn or you move it again (to either direction) to turn it off. Both positions were a momentary type with the handle returning to the center position after "clicking" them on.

On the 2014, they returned to a more conventional type locking directional switch.

I must say that the 2013 switch took some getting used to, maybe that is why they went back to a standard type switch

R2D2

Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee

#10 R2D2

R2D2

New MKZ Member

• 181 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, FL

Posted 07 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

I know of another feature/option that is not on the 2014 as I had one as a loaner.

On the 2013, the directional switch is not of the locking type but has two positions in each direction, the first is a short duration blink (2 blinks) for a quick change lane and the 2nd keeps the directional on until you either come out of a turn or you move it again (to either direction) to turn it off. Both positions were a momentary type with the handle returning to the center position after "clicking" them on.

On the 2014, they returned to a more conventional type locking directional switch.

I must say that the 2013 switch took some getting used to, maybe that is why they went back to a standard type switch

R2D2

Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee

#11 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 348 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

That would take some getting used to. I'm actually glad they took that away. :)

#12 Davisjl

Davisjl

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:MKZ

Posted 09 October 2014 - 02:27 PM

To be clear... the 2014 has the 2 or 3 blink lane change mode too... you just move the stick down slightly and release prior to the locking position. It returns to center and blinks 2 or 3 times. If you were to press down further, it locks in position until you execute the turn or manually move the stick back to center. This is the way most other cars handle the "lane change" blinker...

Edited by Davisjl, 09 October 2014 - 02:28 PM.

#13 R2D2

R2D2

New MKZ Member

• 181 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, FL

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the clarification, like I said I had it as a loaner for only a day or so

R2D2

Beep-op-whir-boop-weeee

#14 StuntBikeJake

StuntBikeJake

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Lincoln MKZ Eco-Boost, 1984 Cutlass Supreme (x2)

Posted 06 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

When you exit the vehicle, look at the driver front door handle (near rear of handle, on the top side) you will see 3 litle ribs. If you have the fob outside of the car, simply hold your finger over those ribs for a few moments and the doors will lock, turn signal indicators will flash to confirm the lock and the indicator will turn red for the locks. 

Hope this helps. 

This was one thing I was rather disappointed with coming to an MKZ from a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze that had an auto lock feature when exiting.. it spoiled me apparently, used to be able to just walk away and know that it would lock.

#15 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 348 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

I've been using that feature.

It has become a habit for me to lock the doors by touching the little "rib" on the door handle. It works on any door.

With this feature and being able to open the trunk by pressing the button above the license plate, I don't use my fob for anything. I just keep it in my pocket.

#16 SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

New MKZ Member

• 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Ecoboost

Posted 07 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

I used to use the little ribs thingies.  Now I just hit the lock button on the inside of the door as I claw my way out of the car.  :)

• R2D2 likes this

#17 Tucker

Tucker

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:44 PM

I also have been using the feature

#18 AZ MKZ h

AZ MKZ h

New MKZ Member

• 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationScottsdale, AZ
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

I don't think I could be comfortable trusting the auto-lock feature but it does sound quite cool.  

I use the fob and sometimes the door handle ribs...and I like the one press "no horn sound" feature.  With 2 you get horn.

#19 Davisjl

Davisjl

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:MKZ

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

When you exit the vehicle, look at the driver front door handle (near rear of handle, on the top side) you will see 3 litle ribs. If you have the fob outside of the car, simply hold your finger over those ribs for a few moments and the doors will lock, turn signal indicators will flash to confirm the lock and the indicator will turn red for the locks. 

Hope this helps. 

This was one thing I was rather disappointed with coming to an MKZ from a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze that had an auto lock feature when exiting.. it spoiled me apparently, used to be able to just walk away and know that it would lock.

The other way is to use the key pad... put your fingers over the 8 and 0 keys for a few seconds and it locks.... just make sure you have your key fob with you or you know your keypad unlock code because if you're key is inside the car it will lock you out ;)

It may be poor form, but I have been leaving my key in the center storage box out of sight for the last 3 months and only using the keypad to unlock and lock the car. I don't even have to carry the fob around which is nice at times... but it does add the extra step to of keying in your code to unlock...

Edited by Davisjl, 10 December 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#20 StuntBikeJake

StuntBikeJake

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationKansas
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Lincoln MKZ Eco-Boost, 1984 Cutlass Supreme (x2)

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

I don't think I could be comfortable trusting the auto-lock feature but it does sound quite cool.  

I use the fob and sometimes the door handle ribs...and I like the one press "no horn sound" feature.  With 2 you get horn.

There was a setting for the Cruze that I had... I was able to make the horn chirp and headlights flash to confirm the lock.. or you could have it lock with no horn, or no indicator at all.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·