Sign in to follow this  
jimflutes

Front collision avoidance system aftermarket.

So my 2017 MKZ does not have this feature , I am planning on having this car for a number of years and am now exploring getting this system put on. I am looking at the RVS Mobileye system now  (1200.00) , any thoughts on other less expensive ones. ?

Looks pretty cool.

My mistake on MKZ year it is a 2016 reserve. I will also check with my dealer to see what they can do with either a factory install or putting an aftermarket.

Installing the factory system is virtually impossible.  I'd trust the Mobileye.  This is the company that invented these systems is an OEM supplier.

Consumer Reports demo.

Obviously, an aftermarket system can't "pre-load" the brake pads as the factory system does.

drolds 1 , As usual you have the information we need. I did realize that the Mobileye  does not put the brake on , but any warning is better than none , especially on our cars that are always giving us so much information that takes our eyes off the road for split seconds. . Now my question for the dealer is will they install it.

I'd be more worried about who is coming up behind me than what's in front.  2 people were killed near me last week when someone hit them full force from behind and pushed them into oncoming traffic as they were waiting to make a left hand turn.  Don't know if you heard about it Jim.  It was in Ballston Spa.

Chris109 , No I did not , Ballston Spa is not far from Stockbridge ,I have been to SPAC many times , I am sorry for them and their families . So there is not a whole lot you can do about the rear end collisions , years ago I was rear ended very hard and totaled the car , the seat belt saved my life that day or I would went through the window. When making a left turn into oncoming traffic I always keep my wheels straight and not turned , but if you are shoved by the car hitting you there is not much you can do. I feel if this gadget works just once it will pay for itself , Tint world in Albany said they can install , ballpark estimate $1000.00. After the install I will report here.

Chris109 , No I did not , Ballston Spa is not far from Stockbridge ,I have been to SPAC many times , I am sorry for them and their families . So there is not a whole lot you can do about the rear end collisions , years ago I was rear ended very hard and totaled the car , the seat belt saved my life that day or I would went through the window. When making a left turn into oncoming traffic I always keep my wheels straight and not turned , but if you are shoved by the car hitting you there is not much you can do. I feel if this gadget works just once it will pay for itself , Tint world in Albany said they can install , ballpark estimate $1000.00. After the install I will report here.

Agreed.  There's nothing than can prevent rear-end collisions.  I also agree that if this system saves your bacon just once, it'll be worth every penny.  An important feature that it has pedestrian and bicyclist warning. 

Every defensive driving course emphasizes that you should keep your wheels pointed straight ahead while waiting to make a left turn for this very reason.  I don't remember back that far but the study manual for the written portion of the driver's license test probably says the same thing. 

Sadly the day of road safety driving knowledge and etiquette is now over. Things like flashing a large truck that passed you to single it is safe to return in front of you and going to low beam from high as cars approach you. Most people that I am in a car with are too distracted or in a hurry to do simple safe things like the wheels pointed straight before turning left or allowing a car with it's turn single on to get in front of you etc. Well the self driving auto will take care are of all that required thinking , but until that day defensive driving is the best way to go.

Well I am still in the process of trying to get this Mobileye system installed. The Mobileye company told me it would cost $1200.00 complete , the problem is that the only place to do this is 2 hrs. away and that it would take eight hours to do.  I am waiting to see if the Tint World in Albany NY will try to install , but it sounds like it is a complicated installation process , oh well  just going to have to rely on the good old eyes.

Well I am still in the process of trying to get this Mobileye system installed. The Mobileye company told me it would cost $1200.00 complete , the problem is that the only place to do this is 2 hrs. away and that it would take eight hours to do.  I am waiting to see if the Tint World in Albany NY will try to install , but it sounds like it is a complicated installation process , oh well  just going to have to rely on the good old eyes.

Hi jim. I would agree that it would be a relatively complicated install and would advise against trying to have a shop that is unfamiliar with the system try the install.

Additionally, just a word of advice, caution (and opinion) if you should decide to have it installed later...

If your MKZh is still under the original 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty or even an Extended Service Plan, you could run into significant Warranty issues if you have any sort of electrical/electronic system issues later on. I would be especially leery of messing with the electrical/electronic systems in a Hybrid.

Just my educated opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

bbf2530 , Great point , I do have the ESP , and the electronics could get tricky in the hybrid. I have to blame my mother for this , she was a gadget person and I was always amazed at the next one she would get. Talking this out with everyone on the forum has made me see the other side of this , especially the electronic risk. This a feature that come with all autos in the future .