Sign in to follow this  
Chris109

12 V Battery

What is the 12V battery in the trunk for?  Just the auto-trunk motor?

I thought the 12v battery in the trunk on the side was the regular battery that all cars operate with but instead of it being in the engine compartment where we are use to seeing the battery they placed it in the trunk , probably because of space restriction , so the 12v in the trunk is used to start the car and operate the heater , radio etc.  and the hybrid battery just deals with the engine operation. I am just guessing as I am not a mechanic .  

Oh jeez.  I checked the oil the other day and just glanced over to the driver side under the hood.  The Power Distribution Box could have passed as a battery cause there was a red cable and 2 clamp-looking things on the top of that box.

I thought the 12v battery in the trunk on the side was the regular battery that all cars operate with but instead of it being in the engine compartment where we are use to seeing the battery they placed it in the trunk , probably because of space restriction , so the 12v in the trunk is used to start the car and operate the heater , radio etc.  and the hybrid battery just deals with the engine operation. I am just guessing as I am not a mechanic .  

Topic moved to the Hybrid section by moderator.

Yes, probably due to space limitations.   However, the 12V battery doesn't start the ICE in the Hybrid, but it won't start if the 12v battery is dead because it controls a relay that allows power flow from the HVB. This is a safety device.  Not being needed to start the car is why the 12V battery is so small (390 CCA) in the Hybrids.

Edited by drolds1

So all the 12v battery does is to power the relay to allow power to flow from the hybrid battery ( HVB) which now powers the accessories and engine , I can see this on the screen when it shows where the power is flowing either to the engine or accessories from the HVB. . So if the car does not start would you have to jump the 12v just to allow power from the hybrid battery to start the car ?  And if so where would the jumper cables go on to , directly onto the 12v + and - in the trunk or to the power distribution box in the engine compartment. ?

The 12v battery has two jobs in this system. One is to provide 12v power to the car when the main power system is off (lights, door locks, ignition power delay, computer power-up, etc). The second job is to act as a power conditioner for the 12v system, like a buffer, when the car is running. There is a high voltage to 12v converter in the car but without the battery the power can be noisy and have small drops or spikes. The battery cleans that up.

No, it won't start if the 12V battery is dead.  There are jump start terminals under the hood.  It's all in the OM:

Connecting the Jumper Cables
Your vehicle has two battery prongs that are accessible from under the hood, even though the actual battery is located in the trunk. Your vehicle can be jumped the same way conventional vehicles can be using these prongs. The illustration below shows the two connector prongs used for jump-starting your vehicle.
E175005_EUR.JPG

A. Negative prong (–)
B. Positive prong (+)
Note:  In the illustration, the vehicle on the bottom is used to designate the assisting (boosting) battery.
Note:  Remove the red cap from the positive prong (B) on your vehicle before connecting the cables.
E148861_EUR.JPG

1. Connect the positive (+) jumper cable to the positive (+) prong (B) of the discharged battery.
  1. Connect the other end of the positive (+) cable to the positive (+) terminal of the assisting battery.
  1. Connect the negative (-) cable to the negative (-) terminal of the assisting battery.
  1. Make the final connection of the negative (-) cable to the negative (-) prong (A) of your vehicle.
Note:  Do not attach the negative (-) cable to fuel lines, engine rocker covers, the intake manifold or electrical components as grounding points.
WARNING
Do not connect the end of the second cable to the negative (-) terminal of the battery to be jumped. A spark may cause an explosion of the gases that surround the battery.
Ensure that the cables are clear of fan blades, belts, moving parts of both engines, or any fuel delivery system parts.
Jump Starting
  1. Start the booster vehicle and press the accelerator pedal moderately.
  1. Start the disabled vehicle. Check the instrument cluster for the Ready to Drive light as the gasoline engine may not start, but the electric motor may be running.
  1. Once you start the disabled vehicle, run both vehicles for an additional three minutes before disconnecting the jumper cables.
Removing the Jumper Cables
Remove the jumper cables in the reverse order that they were connected.
Note:  In the illustration, the vehicle on the bottom is used to designate the assisting (boosting) battery.
E148862_EUR.JPG
  1. Remove the jumper cable from the ground metal surface.
  1. Remove the jumper cable on the negative (-) terminal of the booster vehicle's battery.
  1. Remove the jumper cable from the positive (+) terminal of the booster vehicle's battery.
  1. Remove the jumper cable from the positive (+) terminal of the disabled vehicle's battery.
After disconnecting the jumper cables, let the disabled vehicle sit in Ready to Drive mode for several minutes to charge the 12V battery. The disabled vehicle can charge the 12V battery even if the gasoline engine may be off. The 12V battery will receive power from the high-voltage battery instead.

Video of Hybrid jumper terminals.  Fusion is used for illustration purposes:

drolds1 , Fantastic information especially with the video . I have had the 2013 H and now the 2016 H , I never had a hybrid before so now for four years I am driving them really not understanding the how the two batteries work with each other and the cars have always started right up ( that is how good the cars are ) so I never had a problem where I would have to know the jump procedures. drolds1 you are a storehouse of knowledge for us here on the forum and I thank you for taking the time and effort to help us .  Oh yea I really like your new license plate frame.

drolds1 , Fantastic information especially with the video . I have had the 2013 H and now the 2016 H , I never had a hybrid before so now for four years I am driving them really not understanding the how the two batteries work with each other and the cars have always started right up ( that is how good the cars are ) so I never had a problem where I would have to know the jump procedures. drolds1 you are a storehouse of knowledge for us here on the forum and I thank you for taking the time and effort to help us .  Oh yea I really like your new license plate frame.

Thank you for the compliments!  That's very kind of you.