Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

2008 MKZ: Brakes lose pedal pressure after hitting a bump

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thilton19

thilton19

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationDelaware
  • My MKZ's Year:2008
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:GMC Sierra 1500

Posted 21 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Hello All,

We purchased a used, one owner, 2008 MKZ less than a year ago, and while the car runs and rides great we have seen a reoccurring, and unsettling issue with the brakes. When you apply the brakes you initially have good brake pedal pressure, then the pedal all but goes to the floor. While you will still have brakes, its stopping power is greatly diminished, and if it were an emergency situation, there is no way you would be able to stop in time. This doesn't happen all the time, maybe once every couple of months or so, but it makes the vehicle not safe to drive. This only seems to occur when you hit a bump while braking. 

We've had it to our mechanic a couple of times. They've bled the ABS system, after which all was well for about 2 months, then the problem occurred again. We then took the car to our local Lincoln dealer and they found nothing wrong. I've heard that this was a known issue with earlier years of the MKZ, but I simply cannot find a fix. 

Has anyone here ever heard or experienced this? If so, were you able to resolve it and how? I look forward to your responses.

Thank you in advance. If we cannot fix this issue then I feel we have no choice but to get rid of the car.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 jmcgliss

jmcgliss

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago north burbs
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKZ 2.0L AWD Bronze Fire

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:18 AM

One long shot is a cracked brake pad. Our previous car (not a Ford) had a problem with one rear pad shearing off the backing plate. That interfered with the pad retracting and seating properly when brakes were applied.  It also made a clunking noise that was louder than expected. Just a thought.

Or, what about a kinked brake line?

#3 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:09 AM

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one of the bad hydraulic control units that were a problem with 2008MY Fusions/Milans/MKZs.  The problem is a sticking control valve that doesn't close after an ABS event.  A new HCU is expensive.

See this video.

• 4N1M4L likes this

#4 thilton19

thilton19

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:07 AM

One long shot is a cracked brake pad. Our previous car (not a Ford) had a problem with one rear pad shearing off the backing plate. That interfered with the pad retracting and seating properly when brakes were applied.  It also made a clunking noise that was louder than expected. Just a thought.

Or, what about a kinked brake line?

Thanks for the suggestion, however I just replaced the pads and rotors less than a month ago, but the issue has existed for months before then. 

#5 thilton19

thilton19

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:11 AM

Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one of the bad hydraulic control units that were a problem with 2008MY Fusions/Milans/MKZs.  The problem is a sticking control valve that doesn't close after an ABS event.  A new HCU is expensive.

See this video.

Thank you for this! I kept hearing that there was some defect but couldn't get a straight answer. This looks liek the answer to my problem. Now, whether I want to pay that much to fix it is the question.

#6 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:41 PM

Thank you for this! I kept hearing that there was some defect but couldn't get a straight answer. This looks liek the answer to my problem. Now, whether I want to pay that much to fix it is the question.

Maybe there's a rebuilt or aftermarket unit at lower cost.  A used unit could be risky.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·