Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Brake lights won't come on at night

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Travis Wilhite

Travis Wilhite

• Lincoln MKZ Facebook
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

My wife noticed that my brake lights were off at night when I wasn't putting my foot on the pedal. The led brake lights at each corner come on when I press the brake pedal. The brake light in the car at the top also works when pressing the pedal. I have tried various settings with the headlights, but it made no difference. I tried putting the hazards on and off a few times, and it didn't help. Just curious where to start looking. Thanks. It's a 2009 mkz v6.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 robertlane

robertlane

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 447 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationDearborn, MI
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:GT500KR, E350, Shelby Terlingua

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

See if the 2009 Lincoln MKZ uses a brake pedal stoplight switch.

Lincoln MKZ Forum

#3 SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 397 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Ecoboost

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Brake lights, or parking lights?  Sounds like your brake lights work as they should.  If your parking lights don't work, that is a totally different question.

#4 Travis Wilhite

Travis Wilhite

• Lincoln MKZ Facebook
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

So I have some additional details.  The red lights that are on the trunk do not work at all except for the reverse light.  The hazards work.  The brake lights at the edges only work when I press the brake pedal.  I have a friend that has an 08 MKZ, and I know what should be working.  The brake lights should be on at a lower level when the headlights are manually on without the brake pedal being pressed.  All of the parking lights should be on.  The only light that is off would be the brake light inside the car on the back window.  I hope this clears things up.

Edited by Travis Wilhite, 31 January 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#5 Rusty Boltz

Rusty Boltz

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX
  • My MKZ's Year:2008
  • Current Vehicle:2013 MKS

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:35 AM

Brake lights are only supposed to be on when you depress the brake pedal. That's why they are called brake lights.

#6 SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Ecoboost

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Your description is what is confusing.  Brake lights are brake lights.  Parking lights are parking lights.  Brake lights do not light up at a lower level to produce parking lights.  I guess what you are TRYING to ask is why the parking lights at the outer edges of your tail lights do NOT come on when the headlights are on.  I am assuming the parking lights on the trunk lid (I am not familiar with pre-2013 MKZ lighting) do not work at all, but the backup light does (totally different circuit).  So, if this is what you really meant, then let's start troubleshooting...

Do your front parking lights work?  If not, is there a fuse for the parking lights? 

Does your instrument lighting work/not work? 

#7 ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationFlorida
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKZ, 2013 Avalon Limited

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

Brake lights are only supposed to be on when you depress the brake pedal. That's why they are called brake lights.

Ditto.

At night, the "Running lights - Parking lights" go all the way across the back of the car. When you put your brakes on, only the corners get brighter. That is why they are called Brake Lights.
CTRC USN Ret.
Mt. Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Nice Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited
2017 Continental Select

#8 crturner2011

crturner2011

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationUnited States
  • My MKZ's Year:2010
  • Current Vehicle:MKZ Hybrid

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:04 PM

Sounds like your tail lights are out and not the brake lights.  I have a 2010 MKZ and my left tailight just went out.  Turn signal light and brake lights come on as they should but half the tail lights don't work.  Ford wants $500 for the part itself.  I did some searching and you can find the assembly on Ebay for $150.  It comes out with 3 screws and is an easy fix.  You cannot just replace the bulb (except for the turn signal light).   You need to replace the entire LED assembly which is basically the entire tail light itself.  That's what is so expensive.  Pop off the plastic trim, pull away the felt liner to expose the tail light nuts and disconnect 2 wire assemblies and that's it.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·