Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017 MKZ Quality of Comfort

Best Answer easyrider , 25 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hello all,

To summarize my findings as it relates to my original post, and recent visit to a local Lexus dealer to verify and further address these concerns, I was informed that (3 of the 4) wheels where found out of balance, and that (1) one of the wheels had required substantial amount of balance weight (3.65 oz.) to offset the balance of that particular wheel.

Three of the wheels required indexing, meaning the tires where broken down and actually rotated on the aluminum wheel to achieve maximum results when road force balancing was performed, this to essentially obtain the best possible balancing specs. one can get.

I'm happy to report, the results have definitely improved the overall ride quality, eliminating the vibration felt in the seating area while minimizing vibration in the steering wheel substantially. I have been further advised by the tech there at Lexus that large wheels and low profile tire do produce increased road force characteristics in themselves, and are not necessarily as comfortable or vibration free as that of a more traditional style tire, for what that is worth.

My understanding is that the low profile tire is more geared to performance and handling over comfort, as many of you may be aware, as I suspect there will be trade offs in that regard.

Although it's not very likely Lincoln will reimburse me for my out of pocket expenses, I certainly intend to give it a go. : )

As far as my overall satisfaction of the Lincoln dealership involved, I feel they have let me down by one informing me they had set the car right, and two by further wanting me to believe nothing else could have been done to help resolve the issue. Further, that my concerns could not be duplicated.  The issue as far as they were concerned was ultimately attributed to road surface conditions compounded by style of tire used on the Lincoln MKZ  a (low profile) type.

The end result has in fact proved otherwise, and I feel while any additional out of pocket expense incurred were probably unnecessary if the folks at Lincoln had done the work properly in the first place, these were monies well spent.

Once again, thank you all for your input, and suggestions.

Alex

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the follow-up and I am glad you got it to an acceptable level.

Lower profile tires are used on most cars today, including luxury models. While inherently a bit firmer than the older style tires, there should never be vibration. Large wheels equipped with pressure sensors may be more difficult to balance. Road force balancing and indexing the tires to the wheels is almost a necessity it seems.
  • easyrider likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationOh
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Black Label

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:43 PM

Although it's not very likely Lincoln will reimburse me for my out of pocket expenses, I certainly intend to give it a go. : )

As far as my overall satisfaction of the Lincoln dealership involved, I feel they have let me down by one informing me they had set the car right, and two by further wanting me to believe nothing else could have been done to help resolve the issue. Further, that my concerns could not be duplicated. The issue as far as they were concerned was ultimately attributed to road surface conditions compounded by style of tire used on the Lincoln MKZ a (low profile) type.
The end result has in fact proved otherwise, and I feel while any additional out of pocket expense incurred were probably unnecessary if the folks at Lincoln had done the work properly in the first place, these were monies well spent.

Once again, thank you all for your input, and suggestions.
Alex

Be sure to contact Lincoln directly, even just by giving thier Concierge your issues. I have had great help in making things fair as a customer after explaining things clearly and directly.

Lincoln wants to keep you for sure, and informing them how Lexus had to step in to correct something that your Lincoln service department could not, will get thier attention.

Look at dealerships and service departments as franchises. One may be terrible, but another may be phenomenal. Especially if they're Black Label certified. But even non-Black Label Lincoln owners are expected to be completely and fairly satisfied.

So do make it aware to them about your wheel issues.

Edited by Zalvern, 25 July 2017 - 09:07 PM.

• MediumWilly22 and easyrider like this

#23 easyrider

easyrider

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSun Coast, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln mkZ Hybrid Reserve Magnetic Grey/ Cappuccino

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for the follow-up and I am glad you got it to an acceptable level.

Lower profile tires are used on most cars today, including luxury models. While inherently a bit firmer than the older style tires, there should never be vibration. Large wheels equipped with pressure sensors may be more difficult to balance. Road force balancing and indexing the tires to the wheels is almost a necessity it seems.

I couldn't agree more,  although possibly a bit more time consuming, definitely a more precise method of balancing.

#24 MediumWilly22

MediumWilly22

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWashington D.C.
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ 3.7L AWD

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Zalvern makes a great point. There is no good reason as to why this dealership could not rectify such an elementary issue as wheel assembly run-out. The amount of weight applied to your rims was not only abnormal, but incompetent. Any trained tech should have been able to fix this issue. Compound that with an obviously uninterested/uninformed management who allowed that kind of work, accepted that explaination with no further investigation, and then relayed that information to the customer and you have a problem. Lincoln should be informed.
  • brucelinc and easyrider like this

#25 easyrider

easyrider

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

Be sure to contact Lincoln directly, even just by giving thier Concierge your issues. I have had great help in making things fair as a customer after explaining things clearly and directly.

Lincoln wants to keep you for sure, and informing them how Lexus had to step in to correct something that your Lincoln service department could not, will get thier attention.

Look at dealerships and service departments as franchises. One may be terrible, but another may be phenomenal. Especially if they're Black Label certified. But even non-Black Label Lincoln okwners are expected to be fairly satisfied.

Absolutely, in fact that has already been done. Although the young lady I spoke with yesterday seemed to feel I should have gone to another Lincoln, or Ford dealer to obtain a second opinion, after a lengthy discussion explaining the situation and reasoning  for not, she at least agreed to have me send in the work order and payment receipt I had from Lexus. So maybe there is a chance of getting reimbursed. Only time will tell.  : )  I'm simply ecstatic my Z is driving much better now.

Edited by easyrider, 25 July 2017 - 07:14 PM.

• brucelinc likes this

#26 KenZ

KenZ

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 102 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGeorgia
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

Look at dealerships and service departments as franchises. One may be terrible, but another may be phenomenal. Especially if they're Black Label certified. But even non-Black Label Lincoln okwners are expected to be fairly satisfied.

Absolutely, in fact that has already been done. Although the young lady I spoke with yesterday seemed to feel I should have gone to another Lincoln, or Ford dealer to obtain a second opinion, after a lengthy discussion explaining the situation and reasoning  for not, she at least agreed to have me send in the work order and payment receipt I had from Lexus. So maybe there is a chance of getting reimbursed. Only time will tell.  : )  I'm simply ecstatic my Z is driving much better now.

Hopefully you will be reimbursed.  If it is at all possible, I would check out other Lincoln or Ford/Lincoln dealers in your area for your ongoing maintenance service.  I was unhappy with the ongoing maintenance service at the Ford/Lincoln Dealer about a mile from where I live and now have my service done at a Ford/Lincoln dealer about 14 miles from where I live.  I could not be happier.  It is the difference of night and day.  Not as convenient, but much easier on my blood pressure!  

• easyrider likes this

#27 easyrider

easyrider

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Thanks to all who have participated in this topic, and to all who have extended their well wishes, but more importantly their personal views, input, and suggestions. All the best to all of you mkZ owners.

Btw,  As a footnote to this saga, particularly for those who had suggested contacting Lincoln concierge for possible reimbursement of my out of pocket expenses. I'm sorry to say, that request has been flatly rejected. : (

Edited by easyrider, 26 July 2017 - 05:09 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·