Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Lincoln Quality?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 348 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMount Vernon, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2014, 3.7L V6, AWD. Ruby Red/ Dune

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

I came up behind a very beautiful blue Continental. While waiting for the light to change I noticed that the "i" was missing in the Lincoln name on the rear deck. How did that happen? :( 

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 941 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

head-slap-emoticon.gif?w=32

#3 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCT
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Driver's Package

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

Stuff happens. Someone could have scratched it off. The quality in my car is second to none. Love it.

#4 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Black Label

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:53 AM

The rear badges are just using a double-sided tape to stick on, and thus easy to remove with heat and a little jiggling. If the glue quality was poor enough, it could of simply fell off and the owner has yet to even notice.

Edited by Zalvern, 17 June 2017 - 12:53 AM.

#5 ctrcbob

ctrcbob

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Current Vehicle:2011 MKZ, 2013 Avalon Limited

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

I bought a 2017 Continental four months ago. Traded a 2013 Mercedes E350, which is not a quality car.😰
Found that my "beautiful" 2017 Continental is NOT a quality car. (My two 1998 and one 2002 Continentals were better quality and better cars, period.)

1. Replaced passenger window up/down switch.
2. Driver door "groans" when open all the way. Replaced parts in door but still groans.
3. Driver seat (standard seat, not $1000+ seat) can't be adjusted comfortably. Front of seat too high and rear of seat two low. I'm sitting in a wedge. πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜‘ (seat, not seat back)
4. Steering wheel loses its up/down memory. Goes lower and lower after each use. If I don't set new memory every few days, I end up with the steering wheel down in my lap.

Quality??? Ha!!! Our other car, a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited, no problems since day one. None. Nada. All at half the price of my 2017 Continental.

Been thinking of trading for a loaded 2018 MKZ if quality improved, or a 2018 Sonata 2.0T Sport, (only if I trust their new 8 Speed transmission).
CTRC USN Ret.
Mt. Dora, FL (It Could Be Worse)
Penfield, NY (A Nice Suburb)
Roswell, NM (Alien Central)

2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited
2017 Continental Select

#6 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Driver's Package

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:32 PM

Those are frustrating issues for sure, but besides the seats not being comfortable to you, you may be dealing with some first model year gremlins there. How has the dealer been about attempting to rectify things?
  • Robert Iggy Cerami likes this

#7 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

I have found the fit/finish on Continentals to be superb.  The very early ones has some panel gap issues but that was quickly corrected.  I think the quality of materials and assembly is extremely good.

I have had two warranty-covered issues, however.   When I first got the car, I discovered that the memory seats did not work properly.  The steering wheel and mirrors responded but not the seat.  That required a new power seat module.

A few weeks ago, the electronic instrument cluster developed a strange pixelation.  That required a new cluster.  I was very apprehensive about having them tear into the dash but actually it was a relatively easy job.  The top half of the dash comes off and the cluster is a plug-in module.

I hate taking my car to the dealer but I must say that in each of the above cases, they did an excellent job.  They made sure the seats, floor and steering wheel was wrapped in plastic to avoid smudges.  They parked the car in the back of the lot where it would not be exposed to door dings.  Each time, I received a  Lincoln loaner.  They even gave me a nice gift of wine glasses.

#8 TheRaven

TheRaven

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationReading, PA
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ Select

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:29 AM

Having owned Cadillac, Buick, BMW, Lexus, and Infiniti...let me add some perspective.  There are two aspects to "quality" - perceived and actual.  Perceived quality is how well the car makes you FEEL and actual quality is an objective look at the car.  This is separate from reliability and durability.  

As for perceived quality - current Lincolns seem to have accomplished the opposite of what automakers strive for.  What you WANT as an automaker is to use cheap materials that APPEAR premium.  My MKZ (select with preferred package) has a dash that LOOKS like hard plastic.  It's actually soft-touch vinyl.  In fact, this vinyl appears on 80% of the car's interior surfaces.  So cost-wise they spent more, and objectively speaking, they've used a more premium material...HOWEVER, it LOOKS like hard plastic!  To contrast, the Lacrosse that I traded for it made extensive use of vinyl all-over the place, but thanks to the grain stamped in it, and a very clever fake french seam trick, it LOOKS like the entire interior is wrapped in real leather.  Buick also used metal-look and wood-grained plastic all over the place, but until you touched it, you would swear it was real metal and wood.  Lexus and Infiniti use similar tricks.  Cadillac and BMW actually use the real thing (granted the wood is paper-thin veneer but it is real), but they are also in a completely different price class.

As for actual quality - so far i'm finding Lincoln to be pretty competitive in that department.  Lexus is not what it used to be (long gone are the days of the "solid door" sound) and Buick has made massive improvements here, but when you look at things like panel gaps and fastener quality, Lincoln appears to be using the same tricks and methods as their competitors.  One thing that is severely lacking though is the "N" and "H" in the ever obsessed-over NVH factor.  They need to work on this big time. My Lacrosse had the 303hp 3.6l and until 4000rpm you never had a clue it was even running.  Conversely my 3.7l MKZ sounds like it has a lumberjack sawing something under the hood at startup (WTF is with that starter?) and there is no mistaking that it's running at any point during idle.  Once revs cross the 1000rpm mark the engine is clearly audible and harsh, and worse yet, it sounds like a Hyundai Accent.  If there's anything needing immediate attention it is this because Lincoln is getting killed by the competition in this category.

As for long term reliability and durability, I'm pretty confident my MKZ will be every bit as solid as the Lacrosse it replaced, or as my LS and STS-V were.  I actually hope it's better than my M5 was, that thing was a big disappointment in this category.

#9 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 941 posts
  • LocationLI, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:06 PM

Material quality and appearance was one of the criticisms of the early 2nd-generation cars.  Yours is a 2013.  I had a 2014 and now, a 2017. I can tell you that the Lincoln addressed those criticisms for 2017.  The same goes for the engine refinement.  The 3.7 is no longer available.

• Robert Iggy Cerami likes this

#10 PhaetonTim

PhaetonTim

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo CA
  • Current Vehicle:Phaeton

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:22 AM

I bought a 2017 Continental four months ago. Traded a 2013 Mercedes E350, which is not a quality car.
Found that my "beautiful" 2017 Continental is NOT a quality car. (My two 1998 and one 2002 Continentals were better quality and better cars, period.)

1. Replaced passenger window up/down switch.
2. Driver door "groans" when open all the way. Replaced parts in door but still groans.
3. Driver seat (standard seat, not $1000+ seat) can't be adjusted comfortably. Front of seat too high and rear of seat two low. I'm sitting in a wedge. (seat, not seat back)
4. Steering wheel loses its up/down memory. Goes lower and lower after each use. If I don't set new memory every few days, I end up with the steering wheel down in my lap.

Quality??? Ha!!! Our other car, a 2015 Sonata Sport 2.0T Limited, no problems since day one. None. Nada. All at half the price of my 2017 Continental.

Been thinking of trading for a loaded 2018 MKZ if quality improved, or a 2018 Sonata 2.0T Sport, (only if I trust their new 8 Speed transmission).

My experience has been different. We bought a 2016 Sonata Plug-In Hybrid, and were quite happy with it, until it stopped charging. The first time it spent 9 days in the shop. The second time it spent 41 days in the shop. Recent hybrid errors it threw caused it another day in the shop. Am going through the Lemon Law to get Hyundai to buy it back. We plan on getting a '17 or '18 MKZ Hybrid with the refund. CA lemon law allows a case if the car has been in the shop for 30 days, and mine has spent 51, yet they are ignoring my lawyer's request and sending me through the long process of doing this. Ironically, the longer they take to acknowledge it is a legally defined lemon and buy it back, the more money I will get back from them, and the more money they will end up paying my attorney. And the car depreciates more and more each day, as time and mileage accumulate on it. That is why I am unsure if it will be a 2017 or 2018 model.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·