Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Picked Up My 2017 3.0T AWD Z Today

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Driver's Package

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

So, I installed the tune today. Very simple process. Open email and click one link to install the Tuner software onto my PC. Then plug Tuner into PC and select update to load tunes onto Tuner. Head out to car and plug Tuner into car. Follow instructions on Tuner and load 93 performance tune. The tuner also includes a 93 firm shift tune and the stock tune.

Took it out for a spin. I was nervous about shifts being clunky, but they were not. All seemed quite normal. Drove a bit to warm things up... Then let it rip. It fights for traction with the front tires in second gear in the mid to upper revs. Unbelievable! Accelerates with authority! Amazing tune!! It definitely transformed the car, however, it still drives like a dream under normal throttle conditions and you wouldn't even know it was tuned. The one bonus is all around shifting is quicker and has a less slushy feel.

My brother who has a manual ATS-V said he does not know if he could beat my Z now. We are going to find out at the drag strip soon.

Livernois has a great product and I like their professional approach to things with an eye on sophisticated performance. Very happy with Livernois and this Lincoln!!!!

Edited by Airflow, 27 July 2017 - 08:08 PM.

• brucelinc and jmcgliss like this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 Drwilsc

Drwilsc

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Reserve AWD

Posted 29 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

The ATS-V is quicker in the automatic version, which Car and Driver clocked going 0-60 in 3.9 sec. The manual version (with a professional driver) was 4.2. The MKZ 3.0t AWD did it in 4.8, stock. So yeah, with your tune he may struggle to beat you.

Edited by Drwilsc, 29 July 2017 - 06:02 PM.

#43 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

You might hang with him for short way but not through the quarter mile.

#44 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 29 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

I say I beat him through the 1/8th and he catches and passes me in the second half. The ATS is 400 pounds lighter and designed for racing. But it will be fun to find out either way.

#45 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Black Label

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

I'm afraid brucelinc is right. The tune is great, but unfortunately with how the car is designed, its weakness is revealed in a drag scenario. It is an improvement, but it is still no "Hot Rod Lincoln" yet.

The 2nd to 3rd gear shift will kill your power due to oxygen starvation from the small intake system and rising temperatures. An ATS-V shouldn't even have a hiccup when shifting, and so will go uninterrupted in its power band (unless due to driver error). One might think it is the transmission, but in reality it is all the PCM mechanics just taking action to keep the car safe. If any sensor becomes unhappy: You lose power.

We have a great fuel system at least, so fueling is far from being an issue. The challenge is getting lots and lots of oxygen into the engine for reliable combustion, and make that power. Hot air hurts how much oxygen can get into the engine efficiently...and due to the size of the 3.0T, heatsoak spreads easily when under high load.

The 3.0T will truly shine when it can maintain intake air temperatures while applying high engine loads. A stock 3.0T MKZ (with just a tune)...great daily driver, but has its clear flaws and obvious limits due to being just a daily street car.

But on the plus side, enjoy having the car that is more comfortable and now pretty powerful for less than what an ATS-V costs.  ;)

Edited by Zalvern, 30 July 2017 - 12:07 AM.

#46 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

There was an ATS-V at the track where I ran last week.  The driver was a great guy and was very impressed that my Continental was in the 12s.  We compared timeslips and I beat his 60 foot time, but he was a tad quicker in the 1/8 and ran the quarter in 12.4 compared to my 12.9.   One half second doesn't sound like much but it is probably 5 car lengths - pretty huge.  He said he had run 12.1 at a different track on a cool morning.

I am not sure how aggressive Livernois' 3.0 MKZ tune is but with equal tuning, I would expect the Z to be a little quicker than my Continental due to the weight difference and firmer suspension.   I agree with Zalvern that the tune makes these cars much more enjoyable daily drivers but some of the other flaws prevent them from being all-out drag strip kings.

As for street driving, though, a tune makes a night and day difference in how much I enjoy my car.   

#47 jmcgliss

jmcgliss

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationChicago north burbs
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKZ 2.0L AWD Bronze Fire

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:08 PM

The ATS and ATS-V are fun from the driver's seat. But no sale. The ATS back seat and trunk are too cramped to take seriously as a sedan. Yeah, GM pursued BMW specs, but I'm at the age where I don't care.

We'll buy our MKZ to enjoy as all-around daily drivers. Having a tune available will just increase the personal enjoyment.

#48 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 02 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

The small back seat has been a complaint of his with three kids. He loved the joy ride in the Z and I didn't tell him it was tuned at first just for fun. He was surprised with how forcefully it accelerated.

A bonus of this car is it will drive everywhere in the CT winter. The ATS-V is too low and with rear wheel drive must be parked. The ATS-V was on my list when car shopping, but the lack of all wheel drive was a big factor that moved me in favor of the Z.

Edited by Airflow, 02 August 2017 - 10:30 AM.

• brucelinc and jmcgliss like this

#49 Drwilsc

Drwilsc

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Reserve AWD

Posted 02 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

I came from a 14 ATS 3.6 AWD before my Z 3.0T AWD. Z is quicker by a small/fair margin, but the ATS handled better and was fun to drive. Back seat and trunk are a bit tight, but that's what our minivan is for.

A few people, myself included, complained that Cadillac made a mistake not offering AWD on the 400+ hp performance models of the ATS and CTS. Cadillac is afraid they'll lose some of the performance due to weight distribution, etc, but all they really lost are sales. The Germans by and large do not make that mistake.

Edited by Drwilsc, 02 August 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#50 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

Had some fun with the ATS-V today. We did a pull with both cars placed in third. The results....

The Z held its own quite well! No clear winner. The tuned MKZ pulls very hard in the upper rpms.

More testing later this year at the drag strip.

400 extra pounds, an engine that is down 0.6 liters and with an older generation transmission. Can't say enough how pleased I am with this car. Best vehicle I have owned in a long time. And I have had a few fun cars from 5.0 liter Mustangs, to an M3, to a Grand Cherokee SRT8.

The one area he got me good was the second to third shift. We were neck and neck and then he grabbed a car length on me as we both shifted. He can do no lift shifts in his.

Livernois firm shift tune will be uploaded soon and I will have at it again.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·