Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Trim piece between windshield and panoramic roof

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xceebeex

xceebeex

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEndicott, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Mazda 6 GT

Posted 02 April 2017 - 09:24 PM

Does anyone have a service manual for the 2013-2016 MKZ's? I bought a used 2013 MKZ with the panoramic roof and that trim piece is not sitting right and is causing some wind noise because it sits higher than the windshield. The dealer replaced it under warranty because the noise was unbearable at highway speeds. The unbearable noise is fixed, but it still isn't right. I have seen numerous MKZ's with the panoramic roof and the piece is definitely supposed to be flush.

The dealer is at a loss because he said that there isn't much adjustment for that trim piece and he couldn't find any TSB's or anything about any issues so they aren't sure what to do. I was hoping to try and find some more information so I could potentially point them somewhere to look. I want to try and get this addressed before the warranty runs out.

Thanks!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 Billm

Billm

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKZ

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:36 PM

I had all 3 trim pieces around my panoramic roof (Upper windshield and sides of rear window) replaced because they were delaminating (had a whitish haze beneath the surface). All were replaced under warranty with no issues. I was led to believe it has been a fairly common occurrence here in the Northeast. Parts were backordered and took around 3 weeks to come in.

There were notes on my service order stating "extra time required to remove double side tape prior to installing new upper windshield molding". Perhaps your tech did not remove the original tape and this is why it is sitting higher. Mine is perfectly flush. I would bring it back and demand that they do the repair properly.

Good luck!

The pano roof is one of my favorite features of the car.... It's almost like driving a convertible

#3 xceebeex

xceebeex

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEndicott, NY

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:50 PM

I had all 3 trim pieces around my panoramic roof (Upper windshield and sides of rear window) replaced because they were delaminating (had a whitish haze beneath the surface). All were replaced under warranty with no issues. I was led to believe it has been a fairly common occurrence here in the Northeast. Parts were backordered and took around 3 weeks to come in.

There were notes on my service order stating "extra time required to remove double side tape prior to installing new upper windshield molding". Perhaps your tech did not remove the original tape and this is why it is sitting higher. Mine is perfectly flush. I would bring it back and demand that they do the repair properly.

Good luck!

The pano roof is one of my favorite features of the car.... It's almost like driving a convertible

I have gone back to the place multiple times and he insists that there is nothing else that it looks like he can do with the trim piece. There are clips that the piece clips on and the clips are attached to studs that are attached to part of the structure of the roof I believe, so the trim piece can't be pushed down any further even though it feels like it wants to go down. He said that he would take the headliner down in the car to see if there is any adjustment to the roof structure to bring the front lower, but other than that he says he is out of ideas. I can mention the double-sided tape thing to him, but it doesn't look like there is extra height from double sided tape, but it doesn't hurt for him to look at. I will take a picture of it later to show how bad it is.

#4 KenZ

KenZ

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 103 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T

Posted 13 April 2017 - 06:25 AM

Good luck!

I have gone back to the place multiple times and he insists that there is nothing else that it looks like he can do with the trim piece. There are clips that the piece clips on and the clips are attached to studs that are attached to part of the structure of the roof I believe, so the trim piece can't be pushed down any further even though it feels like it wants to go down. He said that he would take the headliner down in the car to see if there is any adjustment to the roof structure to bring the front lower, but other than that he says he is out of ideas. I can mention the double-sided tape thing to him, but it doesn't look like there is extra height from double sided tape, but it doesn't hurt for him to look at. I will take a picture of it later to show how bad it is.

You might want to try another dealership.  I have found major differences in the service departments in the 4 or 5 Lincoln Dealers (or Ford Lincoln) within 30-40 miles of my home.   

#5 xceebeex

xceebeex

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEndicott, NY

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:11 PM

You might want to try another dealership.  I have found major differences in the service departments in the 4 or 5 Lincoln Dealers (or Ford Lincoln) within 30-40 miles of my home.   

Yea that was my next step. 

So I actually popped the piece off last night (well pooped it off the clips but it is still help on by the double sided tape) and there really isn't anything that looks like it can be adjusted. It's weird, the ONLY thing I could see is that it looks like the whole roof structure might be able to be "pulled down more", but even that I can't really tell. Something seems really strange with this and there are no reported accidents or anything so it doesn't seem like there was previous damage.

#6 JerseyJim

JerseyJim

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSoouth Weymouth,MA
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln MKZ

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

Does anyone have a service manual for the 2013-2016 MKZ's? I bought a used 2013 MKZ with the panoramic roof and that trim piece is not sitting right and is causing some wind noise because it sits higher than the windshield. The dealer replaced it under warranty because the noise was unbearable at highway speeds. The unbearable noise is fixed, but it still isn't right. I have seen numerous MKZ's with the panoramic roof and the piece is definitely supposed to be flush.

The dealer is at a loss because he said that there isn't much adjustment for that trim piece and he couldn't find any TSB's or anything about any issues so they aren't sure what to do. I was hoping to try and find some more information so I could potentially point them somewhere to look. I want to try and get this addressed before the warranty runs out.

Thanks!

I have the whistiling noise ay 70 mph, I think it is the antenna. My trim piece flaked and peeled. One was replaced under warranty and now the other one needs it, but the warrenty is over

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·