14_MKZ_3.7-AWD

Poor gas mileage on 3.7 awd!

Recently purchased a 2014 3.7awd, smoked quartz, hazelnut int., panoramic roof, ect. And love the car. However, even when driving very sensibly, city driving I'm only getting 12.5-13.5mpg! Took a trip to Boise and only got about 24mpg hwy but I can live with that. Any ideas?

P.s. The car had 26,xxx miles when I purchased it now has just over 30,000.

Thanks

Edited by 14_MKZ_3.7-AWD

That's about right.  I Just turned in a 2014 3.7 AWD off a 3-year lease.  If you're in a lot of those notorious LA traffic jams with the A/C on, then yeah.  Here, in winter, with warm-up cycles and short trips, I think the worst I ever saw was 12.9 mpg but it was usually a bit better than that.  This particular powertrain combo seems very sensitive to higher cruising speeds.   If held at around 65 mph or under, I could eke out 25-27 mpg but as soon as you took it over 70 it would drop down to what you're seeing.  The gearing is rather short.  RPMs at highway speeds are relatively high compared to some other comparable cars.  It's crying out for an 8-speed trans.  I had a rented Chrysler 300 with the 3.6L V6 and 8-speed ZF trans and it got almost 30mpg at 75mph with the A/C on, 4 passengers and luggage.  It was loafing at those speeds due to the gearing.  I'm already getting better mileage with my 2017 3.0T and it's only got 300 miles on it.

WOW! Thanks for the quick, but disappointing response. I was doing much better with my 1993 Cadillac Seville with a Northstar V8. Purchased it new,and it only had 75,xxx miles. I bought this car because just thought it was time for something with lower mileage.

But I got to say, other than the gas milage, I love this MKZ!

The answers to your question are in your question - 3.5L V6 and AWD. The former could get observed fuel economy much over 20MPG unless you were going down Pike's Peak with a tail wind. Those turbos suck the fuel like there's no tomorrow. AWD no matter the vehicle always adds another 5% - 10% observed fuel economy penalty.