Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Coil-on-Plug Failure

2008 MKZ Coil coil on plug

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gramps325

gramps325

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationVancouver
  • My MKZ's Year:2008
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2008 Lincoln MKZ

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:26 PM

I have a 2008 MKZ with 58K miles. The car started running very rough and the engine light started flashing. I ran OBD2 diagnostics on it and got a "ignition failure on cylinder 4". I removed the Coil-on-Plug and it was fried. It looked like it had melted. I visually compared it to other COP's. I replaced both the plug and the COP on the #4 cylinder and when I started the car and ran OBD2 diagnostic on it, I got the same message. I removed the COP and it was smoking and was melted just like the one I pulled out earlier. Does anyone have an idea of whats going on. The Edge Forum has what looks like the same issue in 2011:

"OK turns out Ford has recently released a TCB that addresses the problems I am having. Turns out the PCM's are failing causing the COP coils to stay on, thus heating up and ultimately melting the COP coils. Ford is replacing all of the COP coils, sprak plugs and PCM at no cost to the customer. There are certain stipulations though, one being the car ha less than 80,00 miles. Not sure about other qualifications but I barley made it on the miles. Hats off to Ford for standing behind their product. Hope this post helps some one else." 

Thanks for your help.

• R2D2 likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2008 MKZ, Coil, coil on plug

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·