Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Are spark plug boots optional on 07 MKZ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoodGuy77

GoodGuy77

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
  • My MKZ's Year:2007
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2007 MKZ

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:56 AM

Hi all,

Wanted to ask you guys something. I have got a 2007 MKZ, and recently had to replace spark plugs, as mine were there for over 15K miles. Anyways, when doing the job I noticed the small plastic or hard rubber things there, one for each plug. There is written resistance in Ohms... but it's plstic. And they are so ugly already.... I googled to check what was that, and it's spark plug boots. I am wondering if these are crucial to ignition? What if I just remove them and just put plugs as is?

For now I kept the boots there, but think whether I may remove them or replace with new one perhaps (https://www.carid.com/spark-plug-boots/)?

Edited by GoodGuy77, 23 January 2017 - 02:53 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 1,164 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Did you leave off a digit?  There'd be no reason to change plugs with 15K miles on them.

WRT the boots.  Yes.  Leave them there. The factory wouldn't put them there for no reason.  The mere fact that the resistance is printed on them should tell you something.  They prevent spark arcing.  If you don't like the way they look, just buy new ones.

#3 GoodGuy77

GoodGuy77

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
  • My MKZ's Year:2007
  • Current Vehicle:2007 MKZ

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:03 AM

Hi man, yesterday read on these 'boots' and they are there crucial, as you told. B/c without them, as I read yesterday, the plugs may a) overheat, b) fail and hence may be misfiring.

So I decided to keep them at place, the factory ones, as long as they do their job.

Just was not sure whether these are critical to have or replace within some time... Apparently no replacement's needed as long as they work.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·