Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone do 20" Rims on 2017 MKZ

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 newlinux

newlinux

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Black Label 3.0 MKZ

Posted 06 December 2016 - 04:45 PM

Sometime soon I'm going to be getting my 2017 MKZ 3.0T with drivers package. I love the look of the car, except the rims are not really my taste, so I'll be replacing those shortly after getting the car. I'm curious if anyone has put 20" rims on the 2017 and if so, how much did it affect ride quality (I know the tires have an affect on this as well). Any opinions or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:55 AM

Will your new MKZ have active cruise control?  If you're going to do this, make sure that the rolling circumference of the replacement wheel/tire combo matches that of the OE setup as closely as possible.  The radar sensor of the ACC is very sensitive to changes in the height of the vehicle and this could affect its operation.  Changes in wheel speed can also throw off other sensors, such as ABS, Advancetrac, VSS, etc.

#3 newlinux

newlinux

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 December 2016 - 05:44 AM

Will your new MKZ have active cruise control? If you're going to do this, make sure that the rolling circumference of the replacement wheel/tire combo matches that of the OE setup as closely as possible. The radar sensor of the ACC is very sensitive to changes in the height of the vehicle and this could affect its operation. Changes in wheel speed can also throw off other sensors, such as ABS, Advancetrac, VSS, etc.

Yes, I will certainly do proper plus one sizing and keep the overall circumference the same. I'm more interested in affects on ride quality. Doing this on my current cadillac didn't change ride comfort noticeably. On my infiniti it did, however.

#4 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:12 AM

The 19s are a 40 series tire so there is not much sidewall with those.  If you go to a 20 inch and keep the circumference the same, won't you have to go to an even shorter sidewall?  If that is the case, I think you will see degraded ride quality for sure.   In my test drives of the MKZ, I found the 19s on a Reserve to be noticeably stiffer than the 18s on a lower level model.   The drivers package is a bit stiffer anyway, so I would think a shorter sidewall would make it pretty harsh.  However, everyone has a different opinion of what "harsh" feels like.

#5 newlinux

newlinux

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

The 19s are a 40 series tire so there is not much sidewall with those.  If you go to a 20 inch and keep the circumference the same, won't you have to go to an even shorter sidewall?  If that is the case, I think you will see degraded ride quality for sure.   In my test drives of the MKZ, I found the 19s on a Reserve to be noticeably stiffer than the 18s on a lower level model.   The drivers package is a bit stiffer anyway, so I would think a shorter sidewall would make it pretty harsh.  However, everyone has a different opinion of what "harsh" feels like.

Yes they'll have to go shorter - which is what concerns me. With the caddy I have currently have 20s, and I honestly haven't noticed much difference from the stock 19s I had on the car (I switched out after month of having the stock wheels). But I'd chatted with others on that car who went to 20s and they all said the ride quality wasn't much different so I was pretty confident with that.  But with the caddy I believe the 19s were 245/45  tires  and I believe my the 20s 245/40 tires. So the equivalent 20s tire for the Lincoln would be thinner than the ones on my Caddy. I've been leaning towards restricting myself to 19s and I think that is what I will aim to do. Thanks for making me look at the numbers.

#6 zephyrloco

zephyrloco

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 MKZh, 2015 F-150 FX4

Posted 21 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

I did 20's on mine. 20x8 and 235/40/20 Toyo tires. No problems with rubbing at all and the ride is very close to the factory 18's. Check out my post in photo/video.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·