Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tuning for the Lincoln 3.0 twin turbo

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:15 AM

Zalvern, it sounds like there is still some room for improvement with transmission behavior even after the tune.  Would you say that it is at least improved compared to stock?   Did yours improve any after you accumulated some miles?

Mine shifts great in normal driving and isn't too bad even with heavier than normal throttle.  However, at WOT, the engine just bogs prior to the shift, then it shifts and surges forward again.   I hope the tune will improve that if not completely eliminate it.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#62 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Black Label

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:45 AM

Zalvern, it sounds like there is still some room for improvement with transmission behavior even after the tune. Would you say that it is at least improved compared to stock? Did yours improve any after you accumulated some miles?

Mine shifts great in normal driving and isn't too bad even with heavier than normal throttle. However, at WOT, the engine just bogs prior to the shift, then it shifts and surges forward again. I hope the tune will improve that if not completely eliminate it.

WOT from stand still techniques are better after Livernois tuned but transmission shift speeds still need some improvements. It does get better with mileage. Low speed shifts may occasionally send torque feedback, and some high speed shifts may hesitate with up shifting with the computer like its still trying to decide if it should upshift or not. But the tune is much better over stock and very noticeable improvement. The whole stock tune just seemed completely "Anti-Drag Racing" built which is why Lincoln even said it isn't intended to rocket off from green lights...but now with Livernois' tune it can.

I do plan to take my vehicle in to Livernois still sometime next year (when I have summer tires back on) for a dyno run and perhaps more personalized tune done in house. Very certain mine is putting down 400+ at the wheels, and excited to get it dyno graphed. Got the fluid improvements and aFe Air filter going after all. As for trans fluid, I just keep it around the half way mark when fully up to temp on the dipstick

EDIT: To add some additional information, fuel quality and octane ratio does have a effect on transmission performance. Looks like due to winter blend fuel, its harder to achieve optimized fuel performance. This will result in the powertrain falling "flat on its face" when demanding high throttle inputs, as knock detection is worse.

Edited by Zalvern, 31 December 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#63 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 January 2017 - 04:34 PM

Still happy with the tune? Livernois tells me that they have a tune for my Continental whenever I am ready. The weather here is ugly and I want to put a few more miles on first but I am looking forward to some reduced torque management. OMG, that engine is stout, though. I think it would beat my tuned MKS off the line and through 1st gear.

#64 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 10 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Still enjoying the tune for what it brings. Can't wait till I have my Pilot Super Sports and Summer fuel back. Winter fuel is a drag, and more knock prone than ever. I use ACES IV but it works "exponentially" so when combined with winter fuel (which is worse performance), it only does so much improvement vs ideal summer fuel quality. The 3.0T is definitely more sensitive to fuel quality in determining its performance, and may attest to why the Torque Management acts up so much as well.

My suggestion would be to just wait out getting a tune till we're back to Summer fuels and "proper" 93 octane that isn't "wintered" down. It makes a big difference.

Edited by Zalvern, 10 January 2017 - 09:52 PM.

#65 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:27 PM

In a reply to me on another forum, Livernois mentioned a "new surprise" regarding tuning my Continental. Not sure what that meant. Unfortunately, I lack the patience to wait for summer fuel so I will be reaching out to them soon.

Granted, this is an entirely different beast than the 3.5 ecoboost but winter fuel didn't make much difference on my MKS. I would get a bit more knock retard but never more than the ecu could handle.

Edited by brucelinc, 12 January 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#66 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:09 AM

The 3.0T is bogged down due to winter fuel, but a tune still will deliver, just not as strongly since fuel is absolute life force for the car as a whole. If you're ready to get tune, go for it!

But I do have somewhat "good news" (Meaning Livernois did improve the shifts greatly and smoothly...if fuel quality is up to par), those power lags and shifting issues are most likely related to the fuel quality (meaning unless you invest in better fuel, just have to roll with how it performs). Even 93 octane is far from good even now. Nothing wrong with the transmission fluid or its programming...again, its the fuel quality and sad fact is us regular customers are all at the mercy of whatever really comes out at the gas pumps. I expect the same for your Continental or any 3.0T owner who thinks its falling flat at times. It's just has a bigger impact on how well a car performs in many factors.

The transmission lags because if fuel isn't igniting correctly, it holds out till it does mean the ECU conditions. Tons of computer calculations being applied to manage the engine, turbochargers, and transmission that relate to how well fuel is actually igniting in the cylinders.

Edited by Zalvern, 14 January 2017 - 09:11 AM.

#67 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:27 AM

I am happy to report that with additional miles and the adaptive learning that is normal in the 6F55 transmission, my car is shifting much better now than when it had so few miles on it.  The torque management is still there, of course, but it no longer feels like an invisible hand is shutting off the engine between shifts.   It now shifts as quickly and firmly as my MKS did when it was stock.   

Livernois is working on a tune for me and I will be anxious to see how that improves things even further.   I use an Aeroforce gauge to monitor several engine parameters and it has also proven to be very accurate at measuring 0-60 and quarter mile performance.   I timed my 3.0 Continental 0-60 yesterday and got 4.86 seconds.    That is a bit quicker than my MKS was when it was stock.   Hopefully, when I get the Livernois tune and summer fuel, I will see a 4 second flat time.  I will be going to the track in May and I would really like to see times similar to my tuned MKS - in the mid-high 12s.  

#68 colinsz

colinsz

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 102 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationCambridge
  • Current Vehicle:MKZ 3.0t AWD Reserve

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

Wow, impressive 0-60 on the conti......and no tune yet....awesome.

Can't wait for my Z to arrive so I can load a tune. After reading Zalvern's impressions on shifting, I'm hoping Livernois has improved that.

Only drawback for me with the tune is cost......gonna be just shy of $1k after exchange, brokerage, and tax is applied.

Livernois is terrific to deal with tho ...... All the SHO peeps were very happy with them as I was.

Be sure and let us know when yours is tuned Brucelink. It's good now but after a tune it's gonna be a real beast.

Thanks for all the feedback guys -- keep it coming.

C.

Edited by colinsz, 09 February 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#69 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:36 AM

I am still waiting on Livernois.  They need to actually get a Continental in the shop to build the tune.  They told me that they could borrow one from a local dealer but that hasn't happened yet.    In the meantime, they have offered to provide me with a transmission tune.  They can create that based on all of their experience with the 6F55 transmission.   I don't necessarily want that without the engine tune as well.   

I suggested that if they couldn't get a Conti in their shop from a local source, I could probably take mine to them in late March or April.  For whatever reason, they didn't even respond to that suggestion.  

I have also reached out to SCT about tuning support but they do not have anything yet.   I will be very disappointed if I can't get a tune from someone before the tracks open in May.  

• colinsz likes this

#70 colinsz

colinsz

New MKZ Member

• 102 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:54 AM

From what I know of Livernois I'd say that they'll get a tune for u as soon as they can arrange a Conti from a local dealer.

I don't blame u for waiting for the engine/tranny tune in one tune. Will be much simpler and should at least urge them to find a Conti to evaluate. :)

There's still a couple months b4 the races start so don't lose hope. In any case the ride is a beast as it sits and should show some decent times in stock mode.

C.

#71 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:43 AM

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty much waiting for the winter season to end and tracks to open back up. Once they are, I'll head back and get a very nice time slip and video clip ideally (as long my friend remembers to record this time...)

I will say Livernois' tune, I was wrong about the shifts being off because of "the tune". It is the fuel quality itself which in turn makes the ECU performance unhappy at times. Also our engine mounts aren't "race" quality due to the amount of increased vibrations that would result in (it is still very decent however), so this will result in "slight" (very minor when fuel quality is optimized) delay in shifts.

Once the tracks are open again, I'll be going in for some slips now that I am more than ready to see what this sleeper can do. I could do rough data but...I don't want to spoil anything right now.  :)

• colinsz likes this

#72 colinsz

colinsz

New MKZ Member

• 102 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 14 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

sub 5 second times are certainly awesome enough (stock) ...... Anything better than that will be gravy for sure.

• brucelinc likes this

#73 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:00 PM

Well thanks to this nice weather of 60 degrees, I get to enjoy the Summer Tires with Livernois' tune! While the Blizzaks LM001 are great for the winter, the grip and handling of Super Sports just mate with the tune so well.

Now that i have the summer duds on, I will try 0-60 video clip along with a little "Driver's Package fun" since where I am working has a lot of good curves and turns to utilize dynamic torque vectoring well. When I got the tune, it was already winter time so this is the first I get to enjoy with good tires for road performance.

Edited by Zalvern, 19 February 2017 - 01:02 PM.

• colinsz likes this

#74 colinsz

colinsz

New MKZ Member

• 102 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

......bring on those good times ..... can't wait to hear 

Nice to have decent weather back again -- hope it stays and we get an early spring.

C.

#75 pjrocco

pjrocco

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago, IL
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Reserve

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

Any updates on the tune? How the shifting been?

Looking to purchase this tune as early as next week. 

#76 colinsz

colinsz

New MKZ Member

• 102 posts
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 16 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Also interested again now that I've found a mod-friendly dealer with a mod dedicated tech. All being well I should have a tune early this summer.

#77 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:38 PM

The shifting has been perfectly fine the whole time. It's the PCM retarding engine power anytime it may feel sluggish. Poor intake/charge air temperatures and fuel quality are the prime suspects. Can be seen easily with a data logger tapping into the air temperature sensors and seeing how rough temps may spike under high load.

Part of my hobby is vehicle optimization and now the tune lets me discover what is the next bottleneck to improve on for better performance: Cooler Charge Air temps is my next goal.

With that said, if really wanting this vehicle to become a standstill line launcher: An Intercooler upgrade will be needed. But it will be a speed dragoon while in motion. Going 60 - 100 feels better than 0 - 60 because of air flow helping with charge air temperatures, post tune. So 0-60 times do not change much sadly since its hard to "spring" the power from standstill (heat convection is bad). Livernois tune on its own in stock form still will become more enjoyable especially if you drive long distance or highway a lot. When air temps are good and fuel is as well, it's ever so enjoyable how much a sleeping lion this MKZ is.

I have had fun investigating on how to remove the front bumper in order to access the Intercooler for future upgrades. The 2017 is going to be more involved, as you have to remove both front wheels and fenders just to access a front bumper bolt screw to pop it out. Both my 2014 Ford Fusion and MKZ are tuned, and the Fusion has some mod enhancements like an Intercooler. It was by far the best bolt on mod to do compared to anything else, and will be even better for the MKZ I suspect because that is where Ford/Lincoln cuts corners on "production daily cars". It flat out launches better even though the MKZ will out muscle due to higher horsepower once up to speed. I want my MKZ to become a bat out of hell from standstill though, so will plot ways to reduce intake and charge air temperatures. 

Edited by Zalvern, 18 March 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#78 schteve

schteve

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationLake Orion, MI
  • Current Vehicle:Ordered 2017 MKZ reserve 3.0T drivers package

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:39 PM

A quick and easy way to do that is an intercooler spray bar.. that helps the iat off the line then once at speed it's not needed

#79 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:21 PM

It seems to me that the grill shutters would be a drawback. I wish they were completely open at WOT.

#80 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:12 PM

Grille shutters are no issue actually. The Active Grille Shutters (AGS) do assist with air flow and turbulence and only "shut" when constant cruising speed is detected (little to no throttle). Shutters open immediately, and often stay open after the car is idling or has warmed up to operating temperature. There is a sensor reading in the PCM system stating the AGS status. Under WOT, or sitting idle...they stay open and the "fins" make for better air flow. Anytime I wanted to WOT from idle, they were fully open so I can rule them out as being problematic. I only seen them completely close when using cruise control while on the highway. Stop n' go low speed traffic, they frequently adjust partially.

The real culprit is the poor aluminum quality of the Intercooler itself. It's just terrible at heat convection as it "grips" onto heat more strongly compared to higher quality variants. I don't even think an Intercooler spray bar would help much either, as under WOT all that exhaust air from the turbochargers just gets ignored from any cooling. Nearly hit 200 F at one time on a real long road pull at night time. The 3.0T makes better power at half throttle than full, having me suspect the turbochargers are too powerful (which ironically is a good thing) for the intake system at hand. This is why we get "effortless performance" without mashing the pedal, whereas the ECU manages the engine and turbos from getting too out of control.

Levels Performance made a great Intercooler for the Fusions (have one my 2014) and its the most important bolt on upgrade there is. C-PE's version is better for allowing one to retain the ACC and AGS systems, yet deliver equal performance. C-PE I know plans to provide a market for the Fusion Sport which is good news for us 3.0T owners with tunes. I'll definitely buy C-PE bolt-on Intake, Intercooler, Charge Pipes, Downpipes, and Exhaust if they come into fruition.

Edited by Zalvern, 20 March 2017 - 01:13 PM.

• colinsz likes this

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·