Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Tuning for the Lincoln 3.0 twin turbo

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationOh
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T Black Label

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:56 PM

Yes, I have my tune and everything but won't get to play with it till Friday (out of town).

Very interesting to see the engine got more horsepower than it did torque. But what I'm more excited is to enjoy MUCH LESS torque management and shifting hesitation!

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Continental Reserve 3.0

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:28 PM

I was also surprised at the torque. The stock torque at the wheels seemed unbelievably strong. The gain seemed low. That makes me wonder about accuracy. I agree that the transmission improvements and reduction in torque management will transform these cars.

#43 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

Zalvern, are you able to use the same MyCal tuner that you had for the Fusion or did you have to get a different one?

#44 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 13 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

Zalvern, are you able to use the same MyCal tuner that you had for the Fusion or did you have to get a different one?

Don't have to buy another device if you plan to trade vehicles completely. Livernois told me their device can change to a different vehicle up to 5 times. But I did buy a separate tuning device as I'll still be keeping my Fusion on the side.

Edited by Zalvern, 13 December 2016 - 09:01 PM.

#45 brentonm74

brentonm74

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD

Posted 14 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

I have a MyCalibrator Tuner anyone know how much to have this thing configured for the new tune for the MKZ?

#46 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:27 PM

I have a MyCalibrator Tuner anyone know how much to have this thing configured for the new tune for the MKZ?

You have to contact Livernois and inquire about it. I'm not sure if they need you to mail in the device, or if the tuner software can re-code the entire unit. They will need your vehicle's strategy code and usual basics.

Friday can't hurry soon enough...then its one final 2 hour drive on the ultra conservative stock tune! Finally one badass sleeper Black Label MKZ will hit the streets, and this is only the start! I still will get a personal dyno tune which will be easier now since they had a ground working car.

• brucelinc likes this

#47 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

I can't wait to hear your impressions.  Dialing back that torque management will make a huge difference.

#48 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 14 December 2016 - 07:08 PM

I can't wait to hear your impressions.  Dialing back that torque management will make a huge difference.

You have no idea how excited I am to release the restraints! I thought my Fusion was bad, but man the MKZ is worse in ridiculous torque management despite being stronger, so that says a lot! Livernois said they did that dyno graph pull in locked 4th gear. So if they did 5th, which is the 1:1...it has more on the table. Just food for thought there since some may think those dyno numbers are low.

I'm extremely certain mine is going to break pass 400+ awhp...with my "enhancements" I've done, hehehe. Cause the stock tune hates all the extra power its trying to leak out right now, and this tune will be all I need for one sweet Hot Rod Lincoln!

The perfect gift to enjoy on Friday, which happens to be my birthday as well.  :yahoo:

Edited by Zalvern, 14 December 2016 - 07:11 PM.

#49 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:11 PM

Upon getting home, I did not hesitate to upload the tune. I did a complete PCM adaptive learning reset which still requires FORScan (The Livernois Tuner doesn't do a full reset). Also got a full tank of gas as the car is most happy with that.

So I am at the stages where the shifts and everything are rough. It even slams into some gears but while it shifts hard, the power is not interrupted. There is a CRAP LOAD of Torque which makes me believe that is why Livernois is taking it very carefully...but so. much. POWER. The shifts are rough but there is no hesitation is unleashing power. I wish I could hit a drag strip with this right now for safe testing!

Drive gear is more powerful yet it still is casual to drive daily with. The transmission shifts should iron out and be smooth in Drive, so I will provide future feedback as the car adapts.

Now Sport gear? Oh man...it feels like this: 

More feedback to come! Just in the baby testing stages.

#50 Airflow

Airflow

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCT
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T AWD Driver's Package

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:40 PM

I was waiting for this all day! Glad to hear you like it! Can you get some videos of 0-60 or anything like that?

Love the super pursuit mode video btw!!!

Edited by Airflow, 16 December 2016 - 09:44 PM.

#51 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 17 December 2016 - 01:48 AM

I was waiting for this all day! Glad to hear you like it! Can you get some videos of 0-60 or anything like that?

Love the super pursuit mode video btw!!!

Well that was my plan after seeing the new Star Wars movie, since I went to a late night show. Sadly icy rain has hit my area...even with AWD and Blizzak LM001 winter tires, one has to be wise when the ice is around.

I'll do a rough test run when I can! With what little play I got in before the rain came in, my estimate is mid to low 4 second range.

Looks like the rough shifts have settled other than 1st and 2nd gear in low speed stop-and-go traffic now. Though I think future updates will improve this further.

But the best part is no more power hesitation or reaction delay, especially when Traction Control is off. Even WOT in Drive gear delivers great results, with Sport being outright sick. It's soooooo much better, and truly on the path to being a real effortless performance demand. It's a hot rod sleeper Lincoln now.

Shifting speed will improve in time as Livernois continues their work. It wasn't until V11 for the Fusions did we finally get some gutless transmission shifting performance, especially with their aggressive shift strategy. This first tune is really a good start, as the first big thing is removing all that power limitation from what the car holds back in stock form. I believe this is why torque increase was low, as really we are losing a lot of reliable torque due to stock torque management systems. But the Livernois tune helped address that immensely.

Brake boosting is now possible as well. Not that I will ever really do it, but the speed limiter is gone as well. Just nice having an "unlocked" vehicle again. I missed this pleasure so much.

Edited by Zalvern, 17 December 2016 - 01:51 AM.

#52 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 December 2016 - 11:20 AM

Sounds good.  I hope the shifts smooth out as it goes through the adaptive learning process.  As you said, this is just version 1 so I am sure improvements will be made.   I assume you will provide Livernois some feedback.   If the shifts remain too rough, they can dial back the transmission hydraulic pressure a bit. 

#53 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 17 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

Sounds good.  I hope the shifts smooth out as it goes through the adaptive learning process.  As you said, this is just version 1 so I am sure improvements will be made.   I assume you will provide Livernois some feedback.   If the shifts remain too rough, they can dial back the transmission hydraulic pressure a bit. 

While doing some errands today, the shifts have smoothed out very well. I'll give it two weeks of driving and will keep in touch with Livernois how things go.

Future goal is to have a standard tune, and then a more aggressive shifting one for strip play, where shifting comfort isn't a concern. So far, the tune is becoming what we all hope for.

I want to believe mid to low 12's should be easily achieved now. The obnoxious power hesitation is nearly unnoticeable already, which is impressive and makes throttling more precise to what you are demanding with input. Drag strip play will have to wait due to the season, but its definitely going to wow some folks as if it already didn't. Plus, it'll be better to have non-winter blend fuel.

Edited by Zalvern, 17 December 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#54 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 December 2016 - 05:10 PM

Excellent! I have a 3.0 Continental ordered that should arrive in the next week. It has the same engine but I am not sure if Livernois will need to get a Conti on the dyno before they offer a tune for it or not. I would want to put 1000 miles or so on mine before tuning anyway.

#55 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:24 AM

This V1 tune is pretty dang impressive. Got a good 2 hour drive and being 3 am, I had lots of highway to myself.

Truly effortless performance now. If I must mention thoughts of improvements, it'll be optimizing transmission and shift speeds. Good news is no more hesitation or "power halting" till the transmission "catches up" with what stock torque management demanded. Sure, more power and torque is nice but tuned 3.0T will pretty much dust any other daily drivers out there. Especially stock tuned vehicles, little competition whatsoever.

So getting the 6F55 to shine better is the longterm goal I say.
  • brucelinc likes this

#56 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Any further comments now that you have had the tune for a few days? Any negative behavior?

I now have my 3.0 Continental. The engine is very strong. It really jumps from a dead stop. However, the 1-2 shift is awful at wide open throttle. It feels like someone shuts off the engine during the shift. If a tune eliminates or at least reduces that, it would cut half a second off the 0-60 time.

#57 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 26 December 2016 - 07:03 PM

Any further comments now that you have had the tune for a few days? Any negative behavior?

I now have my 3.0 Continental. The engine is very strong. It really jumps from a dead stop. However, the 1-2 shift is awful at wide open throttle. It feels like someone shuts off the engine during the shift. If a tune eliminates or at least reduces that, it would cut half a second off the 0-60 time.

Congrats on the Continental! Your 1-2 shift complaint is pretty much expect with any of these 6F55 transmission vehicles. Its done on purpose because otherwise, with fast great shifts you would be feeling all that torque energy pretty hard and worry if your transmission is breaking...but it is the nature of high performance and especially just how much power the 3.0T really can do.

I did a nice long trip between Cincinnati and Marietta Georgia...plenty of time with the tune at hand. I just sent them a feedback in regards to where the transmission still needs work. The engine has plenty of power, and in fact...it is probably overpowered for the rest of the vehicle. The transmission might be Lincoln's concern as to why the ECU is so naggy on power demand, but of course they have to account for every kind of driver there is. Not everyone knows how to properly take care of a turbocharged vehicle.

The tune is a major improvement. But as I mentioned before, transmission shifting still needs more optimization and improving whatever causes the Torque Management system to behave so strictly. I know of the 1-2 shift "lag and power drop" and yes, that is indeed the Torque Management and ECU safety systems at work. The stock tune is ultra conservative. The Livernois V1 tune is an improvement, allowing at least power to not be "bogged down" but still has a shift delay at times. It's feels like remnants of the stock tune still there trying to hold things back more than anything.

So Lincoln wanted to "smooth the shifting experience" the best they can, but still...if someone wants comfort over performance then they do not go for a high power engine. It's just like with motor mounts: Higher performance means more vibration and sounds. In our case, its Torque "kick-back" and shifting. The 6F55 however is at its limits on how much comfort vs performance it can do, which its a durable transmission...just rough when it needs to focus on being a performer. I DO know it can shift faster, because the V11 aggressive tune I had on my Fusion was superb in fast shifting with barely any delay...may not have had high horsepower but the fast shifting was awesome. I believe Livernois will get there one day and this 6F55 will be excellent for high performance moments then.

Mind you, Drive gear is still smooth for daily driving and cruising. So no worries on losing the daily driving comfort. Any torque kick back and shifting feels is just when you demand high amounts of throttle especially in Sport gear...and to me, that is fine as we are focusing more on performance which usually trades off comfort in exchange.

Long story short: The 3.0T is still a bit conservative with Livernois' V1 tune when playing it for transmission performance, but they did admit to that and having to approach it carefully. The first major improvement is not having a lot of that power demand loss because the torque management system tries to keep the overall system in check. With a tune, it at least doesn't "Hold Power" then "GO!" but "starts going then sudden GO!" if that makes sense.

Edited by Zalvern, 26 December 2016 - 07:05 PM.

• brucelinc likes this

#58 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:08 AM

I hope they can make the shift quality as good as they have with the 3.5 ecoboost MKS and SHOs.   My MKS made a ton of power and the shifts were lightning fast and firm - without being harsh.  

I already have about 600 miles on my Conti from a weekend road trip but I will wait awhile before obtaining a tune.  They might have an improved version based on your feedback as well as others who are running tuned 3.0 Lincolns.  Doubt if there are very many yet, though.

#59 brucelinc

brucelinc

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

I almost feels like mine hits the rev limiter at wot before it shifts. The engine literally falls on its face, then it shifts and surges forward again.

#60 Zalvern

Zalvern

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationOh

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:40 PM

Yeah that's pretty..normal sad to say. It is definitely not the engine, rather a load of potential is being robbed from the 3.0T. Transmission hardware limitation? I doubt it. Its all the ECU and management systems.

I have experimented with various levels of transmission fluid. Half-hash, full-hash, and a pint extra (a Livernois suggestion) over hash mark readings on the transmission's fluid stick. All result in the same performance, so I just keep transmission fluid at the top hash mark line indicated as MAX when its hot and up to 185+ F degreees.

But it gives me good faith knowing so much of the issues is really all due to the programming. The 3.5L has had much longer development time and availability im multiple vehicle applications. Our 3.0T is brand new, and only in two vehicles and only Lincolns...yet the engine IS an improvement over the 3.5 once it reaches equal development knowledge and stages.

Honestly I'm impressed I got it tuned within its release year. I suggest just putting about 2000-5000 miles in, and do a tune up along with an oil change or so. Mine was tuned in the 7xxx range and I'm in the 9000's now, getting to 10k in miles.

Edited by Zalvern, 27 December 2016 - 03:41 PM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·