Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Car Has Developed a Vibration/Shake at Certain Speeds

vibration drive train ride comfort warranty alignment

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

I'd be curious to see what happens if you swap the front and rear wheels.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 easyrider

easyrider

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSun Coast, Florida
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Lincoln mkZ Hybrid Reserve Magnetic Grey/ Cappuccino

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

If I may add my 2 cents, Joe. I honestly don't have an answer to help you solve your concern, However, I can only point out that I've done a lot of reading on the subject of road vibration much of which has been documented on other forums such as the Ford Fusion Forum and others, and while those particular incidents may not be exactly what you are now experiencing, the issue obviously presents itself from time to time.

In my case I had experienced what may be referred to as a quiver like sensation in the ride on my 2017 MKZ Hybrid, this since purchasing it in late June of 2017. While I've felt that much of what can be done has already been done to correct this issue, and the ride improved,

I honestly can't say it has gone completely away. To be frank, it's noticeable to both my wife and I at low speed, as well as highway speeds. It may very well be inherent in this particular automobile, not sure.

#23 ChuckM

ChuckM

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKZ AWD 3.7L V6

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:38 PM

To answer your initial question about the outcome of my situation, Joe, I ended up replacing all of the tires.  (Previously, I'd replaced one, then two...finally replaced the last two.)  That was the suggestion of someone here since my car is AWD.  That did improve the situation.  But honestly, it never went away.  Was still feeling some vibration, mostly in the seat, at speeds below 50.   

I took it to the tire store recently to have them check balance and alignment and they discovered again said one wheel was bent; they'd said that during the previous incident, but Lincoln checked and said it wasn't.  So paid to have it fixed. That seemed to have a pretty noticeable impact.  It still has just a slight vibration, at the lower speeds, more pronounced when I first start driving and lessening the longer I drive.

I also wanted them to balance and rotate before putting returning the car to me.  But because a week passed (between taking the wheel off and replacing it--I travel most weeks and had to come back), and with some confusion at the tire store (including a power outage), I'm not 100% convinced they did.  So I'm going to take it back and have them do it again in case that solves the problem for good.

Based on this whole ordeal, I've lost faith in the dealer's service department.  I hope it's just this dealer and not indicative of Lincoln, but they are pretty apathetic and clueless and have done some questionable things, as pointed out earlier.  Unfortunately, the next closest dealer is about 40 miles away so I don't have a lot of choices.  But will impact my likelihood to stick with Lincoln when I replace this car.

Good luck on figuring out your problem!

#24 longislander

longislander

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationLI, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ Select Plus 3.0T AWD Magnetic/Ebony

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:46 PM

Today I heard a noticeable "humming" sound, although no vibration, at exactly 64 mph. It wasn't there at either 63 or 65! I simply avoided going 64 to solve the problem but I tried it several times and the results were consistent, :headscratch:

#25 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 341 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014, 3.7L V6, AWD. Ruby Red/ Dune

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:02 PM

I will be taking my MKz to the dealer next week. I'll let you guys know what happens.

#26 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 341 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

I dropped off my car at the dealer this morning, 10-10-17.

They took seriously my complaint of "vibration, shimmy at 45 MPH". They gave me a loaner which is a 2016 MKX. They anticipate that it may take more than one day to correct.

If I were a SUV person I would probably have a MKX. It is nicely appointed and rides very nice.

Edited by JoeBrown, 11 October 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#27 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 341 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

I will keep adding information as it occurs.

Got a call from the dealer today (10-11-17). He wanted me to come in and go on a road test with the mechanic.

The mechanic told me that he had replaced a bearing (can't remember where) and wanted to determine if the problem still exists, before he returned it to me. I drove and we got on Interstate 87. Right on Que at 45 MPH the problem became evident. He could feel if just like I could. He also had me accelerate to see at what speed it stopped. He said now he has a good idea of what to correct. He told me it may take another couple of days. Since I have a loaner and this is being done under the warranty I told him that's just fine. :)

Edited by JoeBrown, 11 October 2017 - 03:11 PM.

• Robert Iggy Cerami likes this

#28 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

Sounds like a good dealer, Joe.  Thanks for the update.

#29 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 341 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

I received a call from the Service Writer today (10-12-2017). He told me that the mechanic had ordered a transfer case. He said it will take some additional time to complete the repair. I thanked him for the update.

#30 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 341 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

I received a call from the Service Writer today (10-13-2017). He advised that they have the transfer case and are working with it. I will next hear from him on Monday with the status report.

#31 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

I received a call from the Service Writer today (10-16-2017). He advised that the technician was still working on my car. He expects it to take a few more days for completion.

The reason I'm posting these "progress reports" is to demonstrate that there are good dealers out there who do the right thing. This should embolden you to demand good treatment from your dealership.

My dealer sells and services Lincoln, Ford, Mazda and Subaru. It is a large dealership, but still takes the time to provide "personal" one-on-one service.

• drolds1, Robert Iggy Cerami and R2D2 like this

#32 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 907 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

Thanks again, Joe. Yes. Most of the time, people go to the Internet to post complaints.  Not so much with compliments.

#33 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• 341 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

I received a call from the Service Writer today (10-17-2017). He advised that my car was ready for pickup. Picked up the car and checked it out on the way home. The problem is no more.

The write up on the repair order was "Customer states check for vibration felt in driver seat when driving at 45 MPH without brakes applied. Customer indicated front wheel balance is OK. If necessary balance wheels."

They replaced the R/F wheel hub bearing - Part # DG9Z*1104*E - Hub Asy Wheel x 2

Replaced the Power Takeoff Unit - Part # DT4Z*7251*G - Power Take Off Asy

Parts cost $941.09. My cost along with the use of a 2016 MKX loaner and car wash was $0.00.

Just for your information my car is a 2014 MKz AWD with the 3.7L 300HP engine. Elapsed time for repair 5 working days.

Edited by JoeBrown, Yesterday, 05:10 AM.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vibration, drive train, ride, comfort, warranty, alignment

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·