I just completed the first oil change on my 2014 3.7L car and thought some pictures of key points might be helpful (currently at 20,763 miles). There's nothing specifically challenging compared about the job versus other vehicles, but there are some "fussy" aspects.
I'm switching to Penzoil Platinum Pure Sythetic with a Purolator Pure One (now called Pure) filter, #22500.
I'll do changes at 10,000 intervals, which is approximately 2 months of driving. After the next change, I'll send the oil to Blackstone for analysis and then do an analysis every 100,000 miles (my last car, an 08 Altima went 399,986 with this regimen)
Update: I did an oil analysis at the 10,000 mile mark through Blackstone labs. Their report was encouraging, but I'll stick to 10,000 mile changes.
This first sample from your MKZ looks great. This was even a longer oil run than average and you
still managed to get low wear metals. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine
after about 6,600 miles on the oil. The oil itself shows no excess fuel or harmful coolant and the low
insolubles and silicon show fine oil and air filtration. The viscosity is in the 10W/30 range, as expected.
There's no reason to not run longer on the next oil. Try 11,500 miles and just check back to see how trends
The undercar tray is held in place by 10 torx screws. A cordless drill is your friend for removing all of these.
Tool - T30
I'm not sure how long this tray will last with the miles I'll put on the car
15 mm socket or wrench (no replaceable o-ring or washer is required)
Oil Filter - I used a Vector 17003 tool that fits on a 3/8" ratchet
Jacking the car
I used two jack points under the front of each front door. I use rubber jack pad on my floor jack
I think next time, I'll jack from under the motor mount, sliding the jack in from under the drivers side front door
I placed my floor jacks under the two suspension members.
Once the tray is off, the drain plug and filter are very accessible (actually under the car looks pretty decent for maintenance).
I rotated the tires and torqued the lugnuts (they were below 80 lbs is my guess). I used a socket with a plastic cover to protect the finish of the wheels (19 mm). The wheels already had a few chips on them due to sloppy work by whoever did the maintenance before I bought the car. I torqued them to 95 ft-lbs.
Edited by riff raff, 18 August 2017 - 05:52 PM.