2014 cabin air filter

dt1939

• 3 weeks later...

It is a very good idea to have this changed,I wrote on another thread that I took the car in for an oil change and ask them to check the cabin filter,it was black and chewed by mice. My dealer only charged 25.00 for the filter,but I like to be able to do something like this myself so thanks drolds1 for the information.

It is a very good idea to have this changed,I wrote on another thread that I took the car in for an oil change and ask them to check the cabin filter,it was black and chewed by mice. My dealer only charged 25.00 for the filter,but I like to be able to do something like this myself so thanks drolds1 for the information.

You're welcome.  I like to do things myself too, although as I get older I'm less inclined to do stuff.  For $25, I'd certainly let them do it too.  Was that the total or just for the filter itself? I may try this soon.  If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

drolds1, I took it in for a free oil change (4 year maintenance ) and ask them to check it for me,next thing I knew the mechanic came to me with the black chewed up filter and said they replaced it but had to charge for the filter (25.00). Even though it was inexpensive I would like to be able to check it now and then,so I am going to get a plastic trim removal tool (2.00 ebay) give it a try.

Edited by jimflutes

The trim removal tool would be helpful but may not be entirely necessary.  This video is for a 2nd-gen Ford Fusion.  While the glovebox removal procedure is different from that of the MKZ, the side panel looks identical and they removed it with a small screwdriver.

Edited by drolds1

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the filter the other day.  Fear not.  It's a pretty easy job for even the non-mechanically inclined.

After emptying the glovebox, snap off the side panel from the IP.  As stated above, an automotive trim tool or thin screwdriver will help with this but I was able to grab it from below with my fingers and just pull it off.

post-5-0-95288700-1465408325_thumb.jpg

Next, remove the two 7mm bolts form the top of the glovebox.  The one on the left is shown

post-5-0-67067700-1465408436_thumb.jpg

Now you can pull the whole assembly straight back and free from the IP.  You'll need to use both hands for this.  I needed my other hand to hold the camera. ;) The white material on top of the glovebox looks to be some kind of insulation or sound-absorbing material.  It's glued on so I left it.  They had to have a reason for putting it there.  With the assembly out, you can see where the two bolts go into the top edge.

post-5-0-58567100-1465408876_thumb.jpg

There's an electrical connector for the glovebox light.  It's not necessary to unplug it for this job.  Just carefully lower the assembly down.

post-5-0-55101100-1465409170_thumb.jpg

Once the assembly is out of the way, you can see the filter housing.  There are screws on either side of the housing door with dabs of yellow paint (factory markings).  Remove the two (philips) screws.

post-5-0-98667200-1465409264_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-91002200-1465409544_thumb.jpg

There are plastic retaining tabs on either side of the door.  Push them out towards the respective sides of the car to release the door. Pull the door down to expose the filter.  Three hands would help here.post-5-0-46032400-1465410849_thumb.jpg

Pull the filter out.  You can already see how much crud is caught in it before it's out.post-5-0-84252900-1465409924_thumb.jpg 

Slide the new filter in.  Again, this is definitely a two-handed job.  The filter is rather flexible.

post-5-0-72929000-1465410036_thumb.jpg

Side-by-side comparison.  You can certainly see the difference. There was all matter of flora and fauna caught in there. For informational purposes, I'm at just under 19,500 miles and I live in the Northeast.  I went a little long on this one.  I usually go about 15K between changes. YMMV.

post-5-0-69434800-1465410329_thumb.jpg

Reverse everything and button her up.  I had a little trepidation beforehand but it actually was easier than in my earlier MKZs. 

Edited by drolds1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I changed the filter the other day.  Fear not.  It's a pretty easy job for even the non-mechanically inclined.

After emptying the glovebox, snap off the side panel from the IP.  As stated above, an automotive trim tool or thin screwdriver will help with this but I was able to grab it from below with my fingers and just pull it off.

attachicon.gifDSCN2204.JPG

Next, remove the two 7mm bolts form the top of the glovebox.  The one on the left is shown

attachicon.gifDSCN2207.JPG

Now you can pull the whole assembly straight back and free from the IP.  You'll need to use both hands for this.  I needed my other hand to hold the camera. ;) The white material on top of the glovebox looks to be some kind of insulation or sound-absorbing material.  It's glued on so I left it.  They had to have a reason for putting it there.  With the assembly out, you can see where the two bolts go into the top edge.

attachicon.gifDSCN2209.JPG

There's an electrical connector for the glovebox light.  It's not necessary to unplug it for this job.  Just carefully lower the assembly down.

attachicon.gifDSCN2210.JPG

Once the assembly is out of the way, you can see the filter housing.  There are screws on either side of the housing door with dabs of yellow paint (factory markings).  Remove the two (philips) screws.

attachicon.gifDSCN2211.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2212.JPG

There are plastic retaining tabs on either side of the door.  Push them out towards the respective sides of the car to release the door. Pull the door down to expose the filter.  Three hands would help here.attachicon.gifDSCN2213.JPG

Pull the filter out.  You can already see how much crud is caught in it before it's out.attachicon.gifDSCN2217.JPG

Slide the new filter in.  Again, this is definitely a two-handed job.  The filter is rather flexible.

attachicon.gifDSCN2219.JPG

Side-by-side comparison.  You can certainly see the difference. There was all matter of flora and fauna caught in there. For informational purposes, I'm at just under 19,500 miles and I live in the Northeast.  I went a little long on this one.  I usually go about 15K between changes. YMMV.

attachicon.gifDSCN2218.JPG

Reverse everything and button her up.  I had a little trepidation beforehand but it actually was easier than in my earlier MKZs. 

Great pics.  It's a good thing for those two screws holding the cover over the filter, because those little plastic will certainly break off after a couple of uses.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

worth getting a K&N filter to replace the disposable cabin filter do you think? They're about $44 i think.

Judging by the amount of crud these things catch a lifetime reuseable one may be worth it!

4 hours ago, evo said:

worth getting a K&N filter to replace the disposable cabin filter do you think? They're about $44 i think.

Judging by the amount of crud these things catch a lifetime reuseable one may be worth it!

Hi evo. My personal opinion? Just purchase the inexpensive disposable cabin air filter.  Then when you change it, you can simply stick the new one in and close everything up. With a reusable cabin filter, you would need to remove and clean it before you can reinstall. A disposable filter makes it a ~15 - 20 minute job instead of ~1 - 1 1/2 hours with a reusable (cleaning, washing, drying, treating etc.).  Again, just my own opinion.

Additionally, I found this instructional how-to video on cabin filter removal for 2013-2016 MKZ's. It may also apply to the 2017-2019, but I have not checked my car yet to verify. Along with drolds1's excellent write-up and pictorial further above, I thought it might be helpful (EDIT - fusionff beat me to it, but I took a look at my car and yes, the cabin air filter change procedure looks to be the same for the 2017-2019 MKZ models):

Good luck. ?

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi evo. My personal opinion? Just purchase the inexpensive disposable cabin air filter.  Then when you change it, you can simply stick the new one in and close everything up. With a reusable cabin filter, you would need to remove and clean it before you can reinstall. A disposable filter makes it a ~15 - 20 minute job instead of ~1 - 1 1/2 hours with a reusable (cleaning, washing, drying, treating etc.).  Again, just my own opinion.

Additionally, I found this instructional how-to video on cabin filter removal for 2013-2016 MKZ's. It may also apply to the 2017-2019, but I have not checked my car yet to verify. Along with drolds1's excellent write-up and pictorial further above, I thought it might be helpful:

Good luck. ?

Here's another video, I think it's a little better explaining the procedure.  He also says it's the same with the 2017 MKZ.

Disposable filter is my choice too.