Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

2014 cabin air filter

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dt1939

dt1939

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Locationcincinnati oh
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2014 mkz

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:02 PM

Does anyone know how to replace the cabin air filter in the 2014?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:17 PM

You have to remove the glove compartment to gain access to the filter.  A plastic automotve trim removal tool will be helpful for snapping off the cover at the side of IP:

Attached File  glovebox1.jpg   34.45KB   12 downloads

Attached File  glovebox2.jpg   53.21KB   6 downloads

Attached File  cbnfilter1.jpg   53.81KB   4 downloads

Attached File  cbnfilter2.jpg   51.82KB   4 downloads

#3 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationStockbridge , MA
  • My MKZ's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKZh

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

It is a very good idea to have this changed,I wrote on another thread that I took the car in for an oil change and ask them to check the cabin filter,it was black and chewed by mice. My dealer only charged 25.00 for the filter,but I like to be able to do something like this myself so thanks drolds1 for the information.

#4 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

It is a very good idea to have this changed,I wrote on another thread that I took the car in for an oil change and ask them to check the cabin filter,it was black and chewed by mice. My dealer only charged 25.00 for the filter,but I like to be able to do something like this myself so thanks drolds1 for the information.

You're welcome.  I like to do things myself too, although as I get older I'm less inclined to do stuff.  For $25, I'd certainly let them do it too.  Was that the total or just for the filter itself? I may try this soon.  If I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

#5 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 348 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, NY
  • Current Vehicle:2014, 3.7L V6, AWD. Ruby Red/ Dune

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:22 AM

Artie since our vehicles are pretty close in age let me know the condition of yours. It won't be a DIY for me since I don't have that trim removal tool.

Edited by JoeBrown, 19 May 2016 - 07:24 AM.

#6 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

drolds1, I took it in for a free oil change (4 year maintenance ) and ask them to check it for me,next thing I knew the mechanic came to me with the black chewed up filter and said they replaced it but had to charge for the filter (25.00). Even though it was inexpensive I would like to be able to check it now and then,so I am going to get a plastic trim removal tool (2.00 ebay) give it a try.

Edited by jimflutes, 19 May 2016 - 04:24 PM.

#7 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:56 AM

The trim removal tool would be helpful but may not be entirely necessary.  This video is for a 2nd-gen Ford Fusion.  While the glovebox removal procedure is different from that of the MKZ, the side panel looks identical and they removed it with a small screwdriver.

Edited by drolds1, 20 May 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#8 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

Wow,now that was the best instructive video ever,I am book marking that one.  Thank you drolds1

#9 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

I changed the filter the other day.  Fear not.  It's a pretty easy job for even the non-mechanically inclined.

After emptying the glovebox, snap off the side panel from the IP.  As stated above, an automotive trim tool or thin screwdriver will help with this but I was able to grab it from below with my fingers and just pull it off.

Attached File  DSCN2204.JPG   83.26KB   10 downloads

Next, remove the two 7mm bolts form the top of the glovebox.  The one on the left is shown

Attached File  DSCN2207.JPG   85.88KB   12 downloads

Now you can pull the whole assembly straight back and free from the IP.  You'll need to use both hands for this.  I needed my other hand to hold the camera. ;) The white material on top of the glovebox looks to be some kind of insulation or sound-absorbing material.  It's glued on so I left it.  They had to have a reason for putting it there.  With the assembly out, you can see where the two bolts go into the top edge.

Attached File  DSCN2209.JPG   82.01KB   10 downloads

There's an electrical connector for the glovebox light.  It's not necessary to unplug it for this job.  Just carefully lower the assembly down.

Attached File  DSCN2210.JPG   82.48KB   7 downloads

Once the assembly is out of the way, you can see the filter housing.  There are screws on either side of the housing door with dabs of yellow paint (factory markings).  Remove the two (philips) screws.

Attached File  DSCN2211.JPG   84.08KB   10 downloads

Attached File  DSCN2212.JPG   84.04KB   10 downloads

There are plastic retaining tabs on either side of the door.  Push them out towards the respective sides of the car to release the door. Pull the door down to expose the filter.  Three hands would help here.Attached File  DSCN2213.JPG   83.96KB   8 downloads

Pull the filter out.  You can already see how much crud is caught in it before it's out.Attached File  DSCN2217.JPG   84.43KB   6 downloads 

Slide the new filter in.  Again, this is definitely a two-handed job.  The filter is rather flexible.

Attached File  DSCN2219.JPG   83KB   8 downloads

Side-by-side comparison.  You can certainly see the difference. There was all matter of flora and fauna caught in there. For informational purposes, I'm at just under 19,500 miles and I live in the Northeast.  I went a little long on this one.  I usually go about 15K between changes. YMMV.

Attached File  DSCN2218.JPG   79.97KB   7 downloads

Reverse everything and button her up.  I had a little trepidation beforehand but it actually was easier than in my earlier MKZs. 

Edited by drolds1, 08 June 2016 - 01:37 PM.

• JoeBrown, R2D2 and keithriz like this

#10 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:48 PM

Thank you drolds1,yes you have made this much easier than I thought it would be.

#11 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 12 June 2016 - 03:10 PM

My pleasure!

#12 Mernybug1

Mernybug1

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 mkz

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

Cabin filter replacement

#13 Mernybug1

Mernybug1

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 mkz

Posted 10 July 2016 - 08:35 AM

Excellent pictures and instructions thank you

#14 keithriz

keithriz

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMaryland
  • Current Vehicle:Yes

Posted 30 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

I changed the filter the other day.  Fear not.  It's a pretty easy job for even the non-mechanically inclined.

After emptying the glovebox, snap off the side panel from the IP.  As stated above, an automotive trim tool or thin screwdriver will help with this but I was able to grab it from below with my fingers and just pull it off.

attachicon.gifDSCN2204.JPG

Next, remove the two 7mm bolts form the top of the glovebox.  The one on the left is shown

attachicon.gifDSCN2207.JPG

Now you can pull the whole assembly straight back and free from the IP.  You'll need to use both hands for this.  I needed my other hand to hold the camera. ;) The white material on top of the glovebox looks to be some kind of insulation or sound-absorbing material.  It's glued on so I left it.  They had to have a reason for putting it there.  With the assembly out, you can see where the two bolts go into the top edge.

attachicon.gifDSCN2209.JPG

There's an electrical connector for the glovebox light.  It's not necessary to unplug it for this job.  Just carefully lower the assembly down.

attachicon.gifDSCN2210.JPG

Once the assembly is out of the way, you can see the filter housing.  There are screws on either side of the housing door with dabs of yellow paint (factory markings).  Remove the two (philips) screws.

attachicon.gifDSCN2211.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2212.JPG

There are plastic retaining tabs on either side of the door.  Push them out towards the respective sides of the car to release the door. Pull the door down to expose the filter.  Three hands would help here.attachicon.gifDSCN2213.JPG

Pull the filter out.  You can already see how much crud is caught in it before it's out.attachicon.gifDSCN2217.JPG

Slide the new filter in.  Again, this is definitely a two-handed job.  The filter is rather flexible.

attachicon.gifDSCN2219.JPG

Side-by-side comparison.  You can certainly see the difference. There was all matter of flora and fauna caught in there. For informational purposes, I'm at just under 19,500 miles and I live in the Northeast.  I went a little long on this one.  I usually go about 15K between changes. YMMV.

attachicon.gifDSCN2218.JPG

Reverse everything and button her up.  I had a little trepidation beforehand but it actually was easier than in my earlier MKZs. 

Great pics.  It's a good thing for those two screws holding the cover over the filter, because those little plastic will certainly break off after a couple of uses.

#15 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 937 posts
  • LocationLI, NY

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

Great pics.  It's a good thing for those two screws holding the cover over the filter, because those little plastic will certainly break off after a couple of uses.

Indeed.  My 2010 didn't have the screws and I immediately broke one of the plastic tabs off the first time I changed the filter. ;)

#16 jmcgliss

jmcgliss

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationChicago north burbs
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKZ 2.0L AWD Bronze Fire

Posted 30 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for posting the photos.  It looks pretty accessible versus other cars where I needed to contort like Gumby to reach through stuff.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·