Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

How long before waxing a freshly-manufactured car?

appearance wash wax

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1984Poke

1984Poke

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationStillwater OK
  • My MKZ's Year:2013
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

Literally any day now, I expect to take delivery of a new 2013 MKZ Hybrid that was (I think) built on 3 June.  How long after I get it should I wait before waxing it the first time?  Any special procedures I should follow for that first waxing?  Thanks in advance.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Ecoboost

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Since factory paint is baked-on, the paint has already been cured, and can be waxed immediately.  I suggest claying the car first, since rail dust can get embedded in the paint.

Waiting 30-45 days to wax only applies to new paint jobs done after an accident or repaint.  Hopefully your new Z won't suffer any damage that needs a repaint.  :)

Edited by SteveB_TX, 19 June 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#3 1984Poke

1984Poke

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationStillwater OK
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

SteveB_TX, thank you for the reply.  Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is meant by "claying" the car?  How hard is that to do?  Where does one get the kind of clay to which you're referring and can you recommend a specific kind or brand that is good?  Thank you in advance. 

#4 SteveB_TX

SteveB_TX

New MKZ Member

• 397 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid, 2013 Ford Fusion SE Hybrid, 2013 Ford F-150 XLT Super Crew Ecoboost

Posted 19 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

Here is a link to everything you ever wanted to know about claying your car.  I have used Mothers and Meguiars clay bar kits, both available at your favorite neighborhood auto parts store.  Both do the job quite well.  As for how hard it is, I guess it depends on how old you are.  LOL  Actually, on a new car it won't be that hard, unless you have a lot of embedded contaminants.  When my 2005 Mustang GT vert was delivered, it took me two days to get all the rail dust out of the paint.  That was one dirty train!  It was worth the effort... that car shined like a diamond!  :rockon:

Edited by SteveB_TX, 19 June 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#5 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationStockbridge , MA
  • My MKZ's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKZh

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:20 PM

Here is something you may want to consider. Optiumn opti-coat 2.0 . It puts another layer of clearcoat on the car , it may last up to five years , you will not have to wax the car in that time. I did this a week after I received my 2013 MKZh , going on two years now and all I do is wash , dry off the water with a  dry towel and spray detailer while drying, and your done , looks just waxed but best of all the paint is really protected , you can check this out on line , many pro detailers are afraid of this product because it is killing their business. I have used this on two cars now with great results , I am not a pro detailer .  Jim

#6 jimflutes

jimflutes

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationStockbridge , MA
  • My MKZ's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKZh

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

Oh , I just noticed that was posted two years ago .  Jim

#7 PhaetonTim

PhaetonTim

• 10 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSan Luis Obispo CA
  • My MKZ's Year:None
  • Current Vehicle:Phaeton

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

For anyone reading this thread, note that the clay bars of the past have been supplemented with a new material that works like clay, but lasts longer and do not have to be thrown away if dropped on the ground. You can find info on these rubber products at Chemical Guys and Griots Garage. I have used both brands and prefer the Chemical Guys one. I suspect there are other brands also.

Edited by PhaetonTim, 15 September 2017 - 08:14 AM.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·