Custom Search

Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum - home of the Lincoln MKZ Club

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Lincoln MKZ Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community - but don't worry, this is a simple and free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of the Lincoln MKZ Forum by signing up for a free account today and enjoy these benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post photos
  • Receive special offers and discounts
  • Invitations to events. . .and more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Check out the Lincoln Continental Forum Here.

Photo
- - - - -

Poor Sound from Lincoln Premium Audio System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ron4094

ron4094

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationLong Island, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:2016
  • My MKZ: mymkz
  • Current Vehicle:Lincoln Town Car

Posted 03 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

I was very impressed with the 2016 Lincoln MKZ today and was about to seriously consider purchasing it until I listened to the so-called Premium Audio System (not THX). It sounded awfull. No highs at all. I tried increasing the treble but there was no difference even after full boost (or full cut). I also tried increasing the mids with similar results. The bass control did work, however. I listen mostly to Sirius XM in my current car, a Lincoln Town Car with an aftermarket audio system and it sounds about as good as can be expected from satellite radio with plety of adjustable highs. Has anyone had experience with the Lincoln Premium System and if so, do you get any highs when using satellite radio. I didn't try CD's or MP3's. I also found the MyLincoln Touch not user friendly at all though if I had to, I could live with it but there is no way I can live with the sound.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 drolds1

drolds1

New MKZ Member

• Moderators
  • 1,164 posts
  • LocationLI, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2017 MKZ 3.0T AWD Sport Package

Posted 04 January 2016 - 02:34 AM

I wouldn't use SiriusXM sound quality as the standard for anything.  It's notoriously poor. 

I've had a few MKZ loaners with the standard audio system.  These cars normally don't have SiriusXM activated so you have no choice but to listen to terrestrial radio. Sound quality was much improved when listening to an HD FM station. Still not comparable to the THX II system, though.

You want better audio, spring for the THX II.

• Robert Iggy Cerami likes this

#3 ron4094

ron4094

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:02 AM

Yes, I understand that Sirius XM is not the best sound source but I'm not talking about small differences, I mean it was almost AM radio quality in the MKZ. I have XM in my Town Car and in making comparisons to MP3's at 128kb, it's quite close. It sounds at least as good as standard FM radio but without the very high compression that a lot the FM stations use. I just don't understand why the MKZ sounds so poor. It's now a deal breaker so now I'm going to check out some Audi's.

#4 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 367 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationMount Vernon, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014, 3.7L V6, AWD. Ruby Red/ Dune

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

All I can say is, my 2014 has the Premium Sound System with the single CD (came with the 102A package) and the sound is just fine. The HD radio station that I listen to is excellent just like my USB Flash drive with MP3s and also CDs on the rare occasions I use it. Yes, Sirius XM doesn't sound like the radio or CD or USB flash drive but, it's OK.

Apparently you have a keener ear than I. So, what Artie (drolds1) said, get the MKZ with the THX II system. Or good luck with the Audi. ;)

#5 tgara

tgara

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationConnecticut
  • My MKZ's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 MKZ AWD Reserve, 2.0 EcoBoost, Tech Package, Moonroof, 18-Spoke 19-inch Polished Aluminum Rims, Luxe Metalicious Metallic with Light Dune

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

Like Joe, my 2015 MKZ has the (standard) Premium Sound system, and it sounds fine to me.  In terms of sources, I either listen to Sirius satellite radio, stream music from my iPhone via Bluetooth, or plug the phone into the car directly with a USB cord.  All the music sounds essentially the same in the car as it does in the house using various speaker setups.  For this reason, I did not spring for the THX II system.

Perhaps this particular car you were listening in had a defect?  Maybe try listening in another car for comparison?

#6 ron4094

ron4094

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:33 PM

That's very interesting. There was no way that the system I heard sounded anything like other sources that I've listened to. Maybe you're correct in that the system I heard was defective. However, the salesman that was showing me the car also owned the MKZ though I don't know which audio system he had. When I asked him if he heard any difference when the treble was increased he agreed that there it was very little indicating to me that it was due to the lack of any high frequencies coming from the satellite radio. I mentioned I was very disappointed and he didn't suggest that it could be defective which led me to believe that this is normal performance for this radio. Anyway, today I listened to the satellite radio in an Audi Q3 and it sounded just fine. Thanks to all for your responses. I really liked the MKZ.

#7 JoeBrown

JoeBrown

New MKZ Member

• Lincoln MKZ Club Member
  • 367 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, NY
  • My MKZ's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014, 3.7L V6, AWD. Ruby Red/ Dune

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

Since Sirius was mentioned.....I've noticed recently there is much better reception. I no longer have dropouts at places where I always had them. In fact, the dropouts are pretty much gone.

Inside a Municipal garage that I use when I got to the movie or whatever, it does not lose the signal. In the past as soon as I was 10 feet inside the signal would be lost.

Although it's not at the level of HD radio or a flash drive MP3, the sound is quite a bit better than it was.

Don't know what they did but something surely changed.

Edited by JoeBrown, 06 January 2016 - 05:36 PM.

#8 1steven

1steven

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Locationnew york
  • Current Vehicle:2016 mkz hybrid

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:25 PM

My 2016's mkzh audio system sounds way better than my 2012's mkzh,I believe partially due to the noise blanking system

#9 DJinAC

DJinAC

• Lincoln MKZ Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationEgg Harbor Twp. NJ
  • Current Vehicle:2016 MKZ Magnetic, Cappucino with 300A package

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

I have the premium sound system with HD radio and it sounds great to me. I am coming from a 2015 Mustang GT with the shaker sound system and it was loud but not as clear as the Lincoln. Could just be my ears though.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·