Using a Floor Jack

cpq100

Yes I have used a floor jack .My car is the MKZh 2013. There is a rail that runs along underneath  each side of the car , the floor jack pad has to fit into the rail , if not it will crush it when you lift the car. I got a hockey puck and carved a slot down the middle of it about half way down into the puck, then I placed it on the flat jack pad , then jacked the pad up to the rail and made sure the slot on the puck fitted onto the rail , then jacked the car up with no problem. You have to use a low profile jack which is lower to the ground then a regular one . When I used a regular one I damaged the side skirt because the car is so low. Also a scissor jack will work. Good luck and be careful , Jim

I purchased two pinch weld adapters for my floor jacks. They install on the jack location under the car. The floor jack then lifts the car via the pinch weld adapters. As was stated, if you do not use some sort of adapter, you'll damage the pinch weld. Since it's not worth the time to drive to the dealership for the free oil changes & tire rotations, I do it myself and use Mobil 1 5W20--the dealership wanted $70 for Mobil 1 oil changes on those "free" included oil changes. My cost with new Motorcraft filter, under $15 when supplies are purchased on sale.

I will try using a hockey puck but if that does not work what type of adapters did you buy and where did you purchase them?

Here's a link to the type I purchased. I would recommend that you use this information to shop around for the best price. They are sold as one, two or four pieces: http://www.amazon.com/Pinch-Weld-Universal-Jack-Pads/dp/B00JQTYGBU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1447590974&sr=8-4&keywords=pinch+weld+adapter. I purchased mine either on eBay or Amazon 18 months ago. There are many different types availalbe.

Edited by Mark95man

• 11 months later...

I jack my 2014 (3.0L) under the motor mount, center of the car, directly under the engine.  I put jack stands on the suspension mount points.  My floor jack barely fits under the car because of the underbody cover, but it does.  The newer "low-boy" jacks would probably work even easier.  Getting that underbody cover off is a PITA, I wonder how long till I just leave it off....

• 3 years later...

Purchased a new low profile jack last year - problem solved. 

On the front, I just use the support member just in front of the motor.

On the rear, I put a 4" extension piece on the jack pad (see attachment) and go up between the suspension mount. 

20191102_081808.jpg

• 1 year later...

So this is helpful but I am looking for a jack in case of emergency.  I found a perfect wheel and tire used - exact specs and as you probably know, that's not so easy to find especially in 19". Anyway,  I drive a lot in areas where cell service is not so good, and while I love my 2014 MKZ hybrid, I am not comfortable without a real spare on those trips.  So what kind of jack for this situation - potentially an icy side of the road.  Regular scissor jack with a hocky puck adapter or would this be good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLZXCPH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LeA.Fb81NQ55H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I installed these jacking rails: https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-Fusion-Jacking-Rails-CD4

They run along the length of the pinch welds and allow you to jack the vehicle at any point along the rail.  You can raise one side of the vehicle using a floor jack in the middle of the rail and then slip jack stands at each end (front and back) of the rail if you want to work underneath the vehicle.  Another benefit is my car no longer creaks when I back into my garage due to the uneven incline of my driveway meaning the body isn't flexing as it used to, which I think has to be good.

Installation was a breeze and I did not have to jack the car up to install them.

3 hours ago, HkGMkZhybridNewbie said:

So this is helpful but I am looking for a jack in case of emergency.  I found a perfect wheel and tire used - exact specs and as you probably know, that's not so easy to find especially in 19". Anyway,  I drive a lot in areas where cell service is not so good, and while I love my 2014 MKZ hybrid, I am not comfortable without a real spare on those trips.  So what kind of jack for this situation - potentially an icy side of the road.  Regular scissor jack with a hocky puck adapter or would this be good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YLZXCPH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LeA.Fb81NQ55H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Hi HkGM. A regular MKZ  or Fusion scissor jack. You can probably find an inexpensive one at your local Salvage Yards.

Good luck.